The Emporium of Magical and Mischievous Creatures | Teen Ink

The Emporium of Magical and Mischievous Creatures

May 11, 2022
By cryst4lcrypt1d BRONZE, Oswego, Illinois
cryst4lcrypt1d BRONZE, Oswego, Illinois
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

   Perfect timing. I swung open the large iron door into the shop just as the giant grandfather clock chimed five. Each brassy chime rumbled through the soles of my shoes as I peered out amidst dozens of enclosures. The morning crows of the griffins sung with the clock and the dragon hatchlings salivated, waiting for their morning meal. My favorite, a chimera named Violet, looked a little surprised to see me instead of the boss opening up shop.

    Today Mr. Blythe had finally trusted me enough to let me take care of the morning set up. It had been two years since I first came here, clambering at the door of the most famous animal loving magician saying I wanted to be just like him. I wanted to learn to take care of these creatures, to rescue hippocampuses and jackalopes, to find homes for little sea serpents and unicorn colts like he did on tv. It took some persistence but in the end I’ve gotten my foot in the door. He’s retreated some from the spotlight since then, but while I was growing up he was a legend for his conservation efforts and kind disposition. It was no wonder that he waited so long to let me open alone. These creatures are his whole heart.

    A scroll tied with a sage colored ribbon sat on his desk. The tag on it didn’t have a speck of ink misplaced from the swirling lettering. Felix Griffin. With a tug of the ribbon the paper unraveled, almost hitting the floor. The page dripped with reminders and steps for everything and everything I could ever need to do. Really he needn’t worry, but he always does no matter how much I show him I’ve memorized everything I need to know. A sigh escaped my lips. What would it take for him to just believe in me? The scroll was tucked away in my bag and forgotten as I got to work.

    “Good morning, Violet, honey.” I sat on the floor of the chimera enclosure, grass tickling the space between the ends of my pant legs and the top of my socks. Slowly she walked over and gave my shoulder a nuzzle. “I know, I know, you want your morning pets.” My fingertips ran their way through her lion’s mane combing out the knots and snags as she softly purred. “Now come along, let's get you and your friends’ a bite to eat.” Steadying myself on my feet we walked through the rhododendron flowers to the heart of the enclosure. There the chimeras gathered. The youngest played in the flower beds while the elders lounged in the treetops. I’ve always found them fascinating creatures. Each one is a unique amalgamation of animals, sporting everything from scorpion tails to sparrow wings. Most notably however they are smart creatures who enjoy puzzles and games. Very expressive creatures.

    The time came to continue my rounds to each enclosure, feeding, cleaning, and caring for all the critters we sell here. The next few hours passed by quickly as I bounced from place to place. The grandfather clock’s hands just cupped 8:55 when the lock on the door clicked and in he walked with a chime of the bell. The man himself, Mr. Sol Octavian Blythe. A twinkle in his amber eyes betrayed the wrinkles on his hands and the silvery hair atop his head. Freckles sprayed across tanned skin baked in the sun above. “Everything looks great, Felix. Very well done.” He cracked a contagious grin and offered me a hand to shake.

    “Thank you, sir- I’m glad you’re happy with how everything is looking-” My hands rushed to the nearest washcloth to wipe the dirt from my palms.

    “You know a little dirt won’t kill me, right?”

    “Yes, but I don’t want to ruin your suit, looks expensive.” 

    “Perhaps it is, but clothes can be washed.” He chuckled and ruffled up my hair instead.

    “Fine, you’ve got a poi-” A stark crash interrupted any sort of cohesive thought I might have had at that moment. It sounded like it came from the back. Mr. Blythe’ eyebrows shot up as we stood in eerie silence too long for comfort.

    “Why don’t we go check that out, hm? Mistakes can be fixed if caught in time.”

    “... Right.” My footsteps dragged behind his as we trailed toward the noise. Heart pounding in my chest, I held my breath wondering just what could have gone wrong. A chance was given to me to impress and I took it with a little too much confidence. Shattered on the floor laid a giant bird bath for a griffin. Scratch marks carved into the stone floors sent a shudder through me. Mr. Blythe sighed, grabbing a broom and quickly started scooping it all up.

    “Something is loose, Felix. Now it is your job to find out just what that something is.”

    “Yes, sir-”

    Scuttering through the aisles of enclosures, I checked over each door meticulously. Each lock had to be totally latched and not a hinge loose. Indeed, they all were. That is until I reached the chimera’s room. “Mr. Blythe?” His head popped out from around the corner with a sigh at the ajar door.

    “Of all the enclosures you could leave open, it had to be that one.” He took a quick survey of gardens within, red petals sticking to the soles of his dress shoes as he leaned back against the door frame. “Violet is out.”

    “Sir, I am so sorry, truly I thought I did it all by the letter-”

    “Did you even read the notes I left you?”

    “No, Sir…”

    A low grumble in his throat left me sweating. “Find her now. We cannot have her loose amongst the customers for long. Someone could get hurt or worse.”

    “You can’t be serious- None of the chimeras have ever hurt any customer- I’d be more worried about her hurting herself.” The store has been open for decades and nothing more but small accidental scratches have ever been afflicted on those passing through. Surely it's not the first time that an animal has gotten out either. So why is he so paranoid now?

    “Calm yourself, Felix. You’re never going to run this shop properly that way, getting your emotions in the way of your work. This is your job, now act like it.”

    With a steely cold breath, I pushed down my nerves. He was right. There is no place for panic or unnecessary questions at the moment. Just get the work done. I shut the door once more under his watch, clicking each lock in place while the rustling continued echoing through the aisles. The first customers began trekking their way through the doorway, each numbered with a chime. The little hunt began, following the chaos she left in her wake. The first crashes sent shocks through my heart but with each one after I grew to just expect them. The racket led me to spot her, a train of white feathers disappearing around the corner. “Violet, wait!” The customers glanced over to me, some with brows furrowed and others with glares, as I darted between them. I was an arrow desperately trying to reach its target, yet she always scuttled  just barely out of reach. Mr. Blythe took broad swings with a net at her, but not one bore fruit. It didn’t help that customers kept pulling him every which way, asking about the chaos or the pets. As he was busy with an older lady looking to buy a little sphinx, I saw white feathers trailing into the back. Now, technically I am not allowed back there. Mr. Blythe still likes to have his own private spaces here, especially as it isn’t uncommon for him to crash here after a long day and night. With the shop’s reputation at stake though, hopefully he would not mind. 

    She led me to a door I hadn’t seen before. One like those that locked the enclosures yet it was also slightly ajar. Rust trailed over its worn surface and the locks were broken. A strange chill ran me to the bone. That subconscious thought that I shouldn’t be here was still whisked away with the wind as I swung the door open. “Violet?” The air was stale. Still as death. All enclosures I had seen before were lush and green, full of life and flowers. Yet here, all I could see in the dark was a messy desk. Nothing but dying rhododendrons wilting in their pots. Their bright red petals shook and dropped over the wood like little warning signs. Scratched into the wood in rough handwriting was simply the word, Look. Breathing. All I could hear was the sound of breathing, but not just that of my own. A muttered word from my tongue lit all the candles in the room. 

            My body froze, as if turned to stone by some terrible beast. Cages sat in the depths of the room. Half formed chimeras wheezed from their broken bodies, waiting to be made whole. These aren’t the chimeras I know. The chimeras I know have been quite sweet and cute, but these- creatures were anything but that. They were merely beasts. Yet this neglects to acknowledge the worser of things found in this pit. People. Young and old in dirty clothes with matted hair, empty bellies, and broken wills. Dull eyes looked over at me, wide and waiting for god knows what. Even more eerily though I found myself not terrified by these sights, more so fearful of the emptiness I felt in myself. I should be feeling something toward these people. I should be helping them. I should be running to tell the world. Yet instead I just stood there, feet glued to the cold stone floor as the iron door shut behind me.

    “Felix- you aren’t supposed to be back he-”

    “Sir… what is this…”

    “A truth you weren’t ready for.” A sigh heavy enough to crush me fell from him. “I was hoping to wait till I was certain you were ready. That you could handle the shop and not let anything get in the way.”

    “I can handle it-”

    “Can you really? Nevermind that for now- I’m sure you want answers.”

    “I’d be a liar if I said I didn’t, Sir.”

    “Then let's talk.” He sunk into his desk chair, “Felix, do you think that everyone has a hopeful future?”

    “No, but what does that have to do with-”

    “Everything. Everything you want to know about this.” He swept a hand over to gesture to the cages. “See, this world has many problems without answers. People without homes. Orphans who never find families. Criminals who can’t fit into already packed jails. People who don’t fit anywhere. People who aren’t desired. I, and soon you, will make those who have been thrown away into something desirable. Something wanted. No one is here against their own will. Their choices were made.”

    “I don’t fully understand.”

    “Felix. It’s not some unspeakable cruelty. It's a new life with a chance to be something better.”

    “But that doesn’t make this chance not cruel-”

    “But is it not pain that leads us to greater things? Remember when I met you, Felix? When you stood out there drenched in rain knocking at my door, did it not feel painful when the door shut? There wasn’t warmth in that feeling. Yet it was how you handled that pain that swayed me. Even when you were drenched to the bone, you still would smile whenever I would poke my head out to see if you were still there.”

    “Well you could have cast me away easily, but you didn’t. I stayed because I knew you wouldn’t say no in the end.”

    A hollow chuckle left him, “Sometimes I forget you’re sharper than you seem. In any case, Felix, I have a question for you. Would you say that day shaped you into something better?”

    “Of course, Sir-”

    “All of this is just the same, my boy. People are… imperfect. We’re unreliable and selfish and sometimes we unfortunately just learn a little too late or fall a little too hard. The difference between you and them is you are meant to fly instead. You rose above and they could not.”

    “How is this the solution?”

    “Felix. Surely you’re not trying to prove my compliment wrong, are you? You simply didn’t need much shaping to be of use. These people do and choose of their own volition to be what other people need. They are choosing to let go of their selfish ways, their loneliness, their pride. With that greater purpose, that more comfortable, simple life, this is a small, small sacrifice. A small price for unconditional love that otherwise is unavailable for them in their old lives. Tell me you see.”

    “I see…” 

    His familiar smile warmed up his face once more, like a sliver of sunshine left before the night sky closes in “Good, good. I want to see how far you can go. How high you fly. I’m trusting you will not fail me. You will understand with due time.” He ruffled up my hair, just as he always does when a job is well done. “Perhaps I’ll have you start working with me here to shake those nerves out. You’re a good kid. In the end you will make it just fine as long as you offer me the same belief I extend to you. An olive branch for an olive branch.”


The author's comments:

This piece is about the struggles of how people become shaped or shape themselves to be More acceptable, more worthy, or more deserving of love. It is a caution as well for how hard it is to break that cycle and how only the victim of the cycle can break it. Sometimes they will not.