The Duality of Mankind | Teen Ink

The Duality of Mankind

By JoeyFlores BRONZE, Houston, Texas
JoeyFlores BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Duality of Mankind

“Go to sleep, time for bed” said North’s father. She had stayed up late that night watching Youtube in her room on a school night. She set her alarm to 7am like she does every night and drifted off to sleep. As her eyes closed, they were immediately opened to the sound of her alarm. 

North is then half asleep, confused as to why the sky was still dark out. She gets dressed for school and meets up with her friends. The announcements on the intercom had announced early dismissal since the sun hasn’t shined since 8 o’clock in the morning. As North arrived home, she noticed a worried look on her father’s face. He was viewing the television as a breaking report had abruptly ended the silence. “Dad, what’s going on?” questioned North. 

Her father stood quiet as he let the reporter speak for him. “Good morning to the people of this city. We are deeply sorry to report that the planet Earth has unexpectedly stopped in its rotation. We are going to attempt everything we can to find the reason for this sudden change in events. Please standby.”

North began to hyperventilate, forcing her dad to rush to her in order to calm her down. She could barely process what she’s hearing at the moment. “You mustn't worry North, during times of great despair, you must adapt.” In mankind’s rush to survive, people are forced to eat rations along with resources on the light side of the world. The human race won’t be the same.

I tried :/