Leave it Bee | Teen Ink

Leave it Bee

By ElsinorRavenwood PLATINUM, Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Other
ElsinorRavenwood PLATINUM, Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Other

"In Spain there was Guernica! But here, there was only hot swing music and liquor, dance halls, ban and movies, and sex that hung in the gloomlike a chandelier and flooded the world with brief, deceptive rainbows." ~Tom Wingfield, The Glass Menagerie

I watched as he stood there, silent, watching me. He looked so sad, so lost. His eyes were brimming with tears, but his lips were pursed, angry. He was daring me to ask him what was wrong.

"What is it?" I asked, crossing to him. I had gone to the park to be alone and clear my head; somehow I ended up there with him.

"You wouldn't care," he replied weakly. I sat down across from him and leaned forward across the picnic table. He put his head in his hands.

"Come on, don't give me that. You and Sam are fighting, that doesn't mean you're not one of my best friends," I said. I hadn't known I was going to say that until I had. We'd been fighting because he and a friend of mine had been fighting. I was just standing by Sam. I quite honestly had no idea what it was about.

"That's great. That's fantastic. I don't even know what I'm doing here," he said, getting up, brushing tears away from his eyes.

"Come on, tell me. I don't care anout Sam, just tell me what's up," I said. I really did want to help him out.

"Just leave it Bee," he said, using my nickname. I stood up as he went to walk away and grabbed him by the wrist.

"Sit and talk about it Danny," I told him.

"I hate it when you call me that," he said. Even though his words were rough, he sat down across from me again.

"Now what's going on? Is it Sam?" I asked him. He looked up and away from me, blinking back more feelings.

"I guess you could say it's because of Sam," he said quietly.

"Well I don't know what you're fighting about, but it doesn't matter," I replied. He shook his head. "It's not that," he said.

"Well what is it then?" I asked him.

"You've been spending all your time with Sam and you didn't even know what we were fighting about? You always pick him over me," Dan said, flicking a stray leaf off the table.

"I don't. I don't. Just tell me what's bothering you Dan," I said. I was trying to convince myself as much as him.

"Well I told you that you wouldn't care. That's what's bothering me. I haven't seen you in weeks. I was getting so close to you and something stupid came up and you picked Sam," he said. I was shocked. All those times we had all been together, all those times I got annoyed and Danny would leave with me, all those times-

My thoughts were interrupted as he pressed his lips against mine.

"Danny." I breathed his name against his mouth. I could feel him smilling at the stupid name. "Bee." He spoke my name into my mouth and I paused to try and catch the breath that had been knocked from me.

"Feeling better?" I asked. He wiped the last dregs of tears from his face and sniffed.

"I think so," he said quietly, watching my face for some kind of reaction.

"You sound unsure," I replied, pushing my lips against his one more time. "Definitely better," he whispered as his mouth brushed my jaw. I smiled.