Journey For Two | Teen Ink

Journey For Two

By Gabrielacid BRONZE, Creedmoor, North Carolina
Gabrielacid BRONZE, Creedmoor, North Carolina

As A Writer You Ask Yourself To Dream While Awake. - Aimee Bender

I was so excited! My boyfriend just proposed to me in the sweetest way a man could propose. I was walking to my house and when I got on the porch there was a sign. It said knock three times and scream I love you! So I did and then my boyfriend opened the door holding a picnic basket. I smiled at the site of him. “Hey beautiful” he said standing in the doorway. “Lets go out to the park to have a picnic,” he said. “Yeah sure” I said. “I’m going to have to blindfold your eyes if we do go” he said smiling. “Fine” I said. He covered my eyes with a bright red tie. He helped me in the car. “Well lets get going” he said. Soon enough we arrived and he helped me out of the car. Then he took me by the hand and walked me to the swings, he helped me sit in one. As I was siting there he said, “hey ill be right back I forgot something”. “Okay” I said. I waited for a couple of minutes when finally I decided to call for him. “Hey you there?” I said but no answer. “This isn’t funny” I said. But, still no answer. I waited thirty minutes more and finally I had enough. I pulled the blindfold off and to my surprise the car was gone and so was my boyfriend.
Oh my god he didn’t! I thought mad. “I’m hurting him” I said to myself. I started to walk home; thank god it was close by. When I got to the house I saw a the sign was replaced with a new one and it said to scream I love you six times I was too angry to scream anything. I ripped the sign off and opened the door and slammed it shut. “DAVID!!” I screamed. “You better have a good explanation as to why you left me at the park!” I yelled angrily. But to my surprise he wasn’t in the living room. Again! I was bombarded by another sign sitting on the couch. Oh brother I thought. I am really hurting him. The sign “read run, run, run, to our favorite place filled with laughter and fun”. I ran to outside to the tree house my dad built when I was twelve. It was our favorite place. Over the course of two years we had accumulated so many memories and great times together. I climbed up the wooden ladder leading to the tree house and there he was in a suit and tie on one knee with the most beautiful ring. I started to cry. “Will you, Kathy Sanders, marry me?” “Oh my god. Yes!” I said crying. He got up and gave a leap of joy and came to hug me. “I have got to call my mom to let her know” I said happily.
We started down the stairs when David proposed a challenge. “I bet ill beat you inside” he said. “You wanna bet?” I said jumping off the second step and ran to the porch. “Cheater!” he yelled as I got inside. I locked the door leaving him outside. “Open up” he said laughing. I waited until he pretended to walk away and then finally I opened up. “You can come in now” I said laughing. But he wasn’t walking over so I stepped away from the doorway and started toward him when all of a sudden I feel a Splash of cold water. “David!” I yelped as the freezing water hit my bare legs. “This is war!” I said chasing after him. Finally he decided to give up and he sat on the porch and let me soak him with freezing water. As we were laughing and messing around I heard the phone ring. I picked up the phone. “Hello” I said. I heard sobs on the other line, it was my mother. “Honey.” she answered. “Mom what’s wrong?” I said. She said “you have to rush to the hospital”. “Your father has been in a terrible accident and he’s not responding”. I dropped to my knees at the sound of it. David ran to my side. I felt like my world had been turned upside down and I couldn’t do anything about it. I felt a strange emptiness inside. “NOOO!!” I screamed slamming the phone into the concrete breaking it into millions of bits and pieces. “Please David tell me it’s a lie”. I said crying out of control. We rushed to the hospital to find out that my daddy didn’t make it. I was shocked by the news. I felt so dead and joyless. I didn’t eat or sleep all I did was sit and stared in space. David begged me to eat. He was really worried about my mother and I. She was in an even worse condition. She had to be hospitalized because her blood pressure went up with all the worry and stress and pain. I was in shock for a month. My mother had slowly gotten better over the course of that month. I on the other hand was still fragile and David did all he could to make my mother and I feel better and I was greatly appreciative. I really wanted to go to my father’s burial site to go see him so I told David and he took me. I had completely forgotten that we were getting married the in the next 2 weeks. I knew my daddy would have been proud to see me walk the aisle. I started to tear at the thought of my daddy not being at my wedding. When we arrived at the site I ran to my father’s grave and hugged it tightly as streams of tears escaped my eyes. I love and miss you daddy I said.

Wedding day *
“You look amazing” my mother said. “Your father would have been proud of you and David.” She said hugging me tightly. “I miss him.” I said. “Oh honey I do to but his presence will always be there.” She said. David and I decided that in honor of my father we would get married at the church where his funeral was made and near his burial site. When the ceremony was finished I went to visit my father. I hug my father’s grave and I cried and cried until I didn’t have any more tears. I would truly miss this incredible man, who in many occasions was my hero. He would always be the first man in my life. As I was getting up I turned to see David standing near by. “He would have been proud of you” He said as he reached for my hand. I looked at him and said “No David he would have been proud of us”. He smiled and kissed my forehead as we walked back to the church hand in hand.