Shattered Heart in the Ocean | Teen Ink

Shattered Heart in the Ocean

By Master_Dylan_Bishop GOLD, Beaumont, California
Master_Dylan_Bishop GOLD, Beaumont, California

"If I had a flower for every time I thought of you...I could walk through my garden forever.” ― Alfred Tennyson

The waves kept taking me under, this vortex of darkness took ahold of me. I kept reaching out for the one I loved but each time I went under, she was further away. I knew I had to fight for her… I emerged out of the water and begin to run towards her, I searched within myself for the rest of my strength and prepared for the waves that fought against me… A certain power grew inside me, I felt like I was one with the ocean. I could feel the water building, it was running through my veins, the power of the ocean… Suddenly, a huge wave appeared, it was crashing down upon me. As soon as the wave crashed down upon me, I shouted with the loudest shout I could and pushed myself forward, splitting the wave in half. I continued stomping through the water as I raced after my love, I wouldn't lose her again. Wave after wave, this ocean kept fighting against me… This ocean didn't want me to reach my love but I knew I had to fight for her.

I kept shouting and pushing through the waves, I was so weak but my heart wouldn't allow me to quit. I reached out for my love and she reached out towards me, my fingers wrapped around her fingers as we reunited. I felt my strength return and the world seemed at peace, the waves just avoided us when we were together, nothing could go wrong when we were together. "I love you…" I gently whispered. She looked down as a tear ran down her cheek, "I-I can't…" She whispered.

My heart shattered as I stumbled back in shock. I looked down at my hands and they had lost all color. "No…" I cried. My soul was draining, I could feel my body breaking down. As I collapsed to my knees, I desperately reached out for my love but it seemed like my hands just ran through her. I couldn't hold onto her any longer… She slowly turned away as a wave came up and crashed down upon me. The whole world went dark as I was swallowed up into this vortex of darkness, it twisted and turned my body in a vicious cycle, this vortex tore my body apart.

My love vanished into the waves. We both just disappeared. My worst nightmare came true today… We lost each other.

One night, this piece of writing came to me and it struck fear into my heart. I felt as if I needed to write it and when I was finished, I felt fine. A year later, I would realize that this would be a metaphor for my relationship with my first love.