Playing Your Game | Teen Ink

Playing Your Game

December 14, 2013
By BlackSuitCloset BRONZE, New Port Richey,
BlackSuitCloset BRONZE, New Port Richey,
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The sun sees not till heaven clears..." ~Shakespeare~


Do you know what's so strange? My own AP Human Geography class has given me a huge perspective on gender rolls these last couple weeks. Why must men be so greatly superior to women, and why do so many women accept it? Glancing at the one and only David Cunnings, who is treated like the king of all that is beauty and seduction, I decided to contradict those standards.


"Amanda!" This was my closest link to David's world of people. Amanda was smart,an absolutely gorgeous dirty blonde, had an actual past with David in middle school, and was surprisingly, my best friend. "I need your help." Twirling around in her desk to face me, Amanda's curly-gold tips flipping around like a carousel, she perks a smile that should have been on an Orbit commercial. "What's up, buttercup?"

"Oh for all that is sacred," I say dreadfully, "don't say that. Do you think you can convince David to check me out?"

Amanda stares at me in bewilderment. "Wait, what? Since when were you interested in David? Better yet, anyone?" One girl from across the room turned to look at us. Could she have said that louder?

"Hush! I'm experimenting. He thinks that all us women are easy scores, and that his sexiness can convince any girl to give him control of the relationship, or should I say 'relationships'. Well, I am going to be the one to take that process down." David is hot, which I've never really admitted to anyone on earth until now, even though it was a well known fact. His short brown hair is teased in hair gel, smile is sneaked into one corner, and charm oozes out of his every move. Nevertheless, his six foot frame just makes every girl want him even more.

"Okay," my dear friend shakes her head in confusion. "You think David is sexy?"

Throwing my hands up in the air I groan, "All of what I said, and that is what you happen to be interested in?"

"Ugh, I'm sorry Kate, this is all too weird, you've ranted about David before, but complimenting him at the same time? What's up with that? Why the sudden feministic visual of life all of a sudden?"

Well that's simple.

"I hate David. Two, women shouldn't always be the ones getting played; it's time they flipped the script and become the players. Three, I simply hate David."

Amanda takes a moment to soak my plan in. "So you're telling me...you're going to play him at his own game? THE David Cunnings? Sorry hun, but you'll need a slight upgrade if you want to tap that."

Sigh.

It sounded mean, but that's how Amanda is, she gives the truth cold and hard. My thick black hair is in a ponytail and doesn't smell like sweet shampoo. I always wear fitted t-shirts or sweaters with sneakers; rarely do I wear sandals. Skirts are an absolute no-no, and I hate makeup. The good thing about me, at least according to Amanda, are my grayish-green eyes. She says they really pop with my hair, and if I made the right look, I could attract anyone. They beat David's plain brown eyes by a mile.

"But Amanda, I need you to do this now, while it's all still fresh in my mind." Realizing the last thing she said I added, "And in no way, would I naturally want to tap that."

In amusement, Amanda rolled her eyes, then stared at me, envisioning combinations that will make David even slightly attracted."Take out that ponytail, it's too tom-boy with your outfit." I pout as I begin to undo my hair tie, it took me forever to get it like this. When my hair is all down, she leans over my desk to bring all my hair on my left shoulder. Beginning in her next instruction she looked at me startled, blinking for a few seconds, "Kate, you should really leave your hair down more often. Your eyes, are literally more intense than Liam Hemsworth." She swoons at the thought of him, then falls back to earth.
"Now, when he gets this note," she waves the tiny piece of white paper in front of my face, "he's going to look at you. Give me your most seductive stare." Unsure of what to do, I tilted my head down slightly, staring at her with narrowed eyes.

"Oh dear--, I said seductive, not turn-him-into-stone-Medusa. Leave your eyes more open. Try to look like this."She parts her hair to the side like mine, slightly tilts her head towards the desk, and slowly looks up at me with a Victoria's Secret look.I take a glance at the clock on the wall across from me and see that there's only 15 minutes left of class.

"Okay, now go pass the note to him!" I say hurriedly, "Make sure you add description so he doesn't get confused. I doubt he even knows I'm in this class."

"Oh, honey he won't!" she says with a wink.

My hand begins to sweat on my pencil, which is moving to make it seem like I'm unaware of whats about to happen, as the note is being passed in a chain to David; who is in the front section of desks that face the wall on my right, giving me a full view of his left side. As David gets the note, I am ready to stare. He looks around a bit and I shoot the look when his face is my way. For added effect, I wink, which I've never ever done before. To be honest I don't even know if I'm giving off the look-away-or-you'll-turn-into-stone-look, or Amanda's flawless Victoria's Secret model look To my surprise, the right side of his lips curve up a bit, and became too distracted to notice the girl behind tapping on his shoulder.

Bingo.


The author's comments:
I just recently watched John Tucker Must Die and liked the storyline. The whole taste-of-his-own-medicine idea was interesting to me, but although it was comedic, i didn't like the ending too much.
So i shaped the story into a more serious, yet still laughable, plot and decided to take another turn to keep it from being too cliché.