Another Prologue | Teen Ink

Another Prologue

By sammondrosch BRONZE, West Hills, California
sammondrosch BRONZE, West Hills, California

"Never let the fear of striking out, keep you from playing the game."

“I can’t deal with this anymore Scott. I’m sick. I’m so sick of you never being able to make up your mind. You never know what you want. You keep stringing me along, and… I just… I don’t think I love you enough… to keep waiting. I’m over this.” Scott’s eyes glistened from the reflection of the streetlamp. He looked pitiful standing there with that defeated look on his face. A tear fell down his cheek.
“Emily. Please. When I’m with you, I’m a whole different person. I feel terrific around you. You make me feel loved. And I know I make you feel that way too, so don’t deny it.” He looked hopeful. He was draining me of all my energy, and I was so done with it.
“Scott! Stop! There’s nothing you can say to change my mind. I’m sick of putting up with your crap. You’ve screwed me a thousand times over.” He cut me off
“I haven’t! I can change! I can be anyone you want me to be, just please Emily. I know you love me.” He took a step towards me. I took a step back. My breathing was ragged. What I said next might have been the hardest thing I have ever had to say.
“I don’t.
“You.. you what?”
“I. Don’t. Love. You. Not anymore.” I felt a prickling in my eyes. I wouldn’t let him see me cry. I turned to walk away.
“Emily!” He screamed. I turned around and came up close to him and kissed his cheek.
“Goodbye Scott.” I walked away, leaving him looking dejected and small, slow strides into the growing darkness. With each step I took, I felt my heart breaking, until all was left was an empty, bottomless hole.