The Waltz | Teen Ink

The Waltz

By GodGirl12324 BRONZE, Axson, Georgia
GodGirl12324 BRONZE, Axson, Georgia

"Be you because there is no one created like you."

The music waned and tilted. Its bittersweet tune hauntingly wafted through the ballroom as a thick fog in the darkest night. The floor was empty for no couple dared to step into the dominion and sway to the unfortunate tune; a song so mournful only the truly reckless would give their love to tragedy. As the music was coming to its end the echoing of footsteps was heard coming from a corner of the room.

A young man made his way through the crowd and walked straight and proud to the center of the floor and stopped. His strong physique was hidden under a deep blue velvet coat and his boots were such an inky black that they shone even in the dim candlelight. Still as a statue he stood, but it was neither his silence nor his stillness that caused the crowd to stare in wonder at this mysterious being, but his piercing green eyes that scanned each face as if looking for a certain something in your soul that would cause him to take a second glance.

His gaze moved from face to face and his white gloved hands were clasped behind him; his expression steadily grew grimmer with each passing second until his eyes fell upon a woman who stood quiet yet confident behind a group of fair skinned ladies with pinched noses. She did not bat an eye as his gaze weighed upon her. The young man’s forbidding demeanor melted away and was replaced with a breath of relief. The young man swept his coat to the side and bowed deeply to her, welcoming her to his presence. The young woman passed the girls and her heels clicked the floor causing the room to echo with each step she took.

Her hair fell as cascading black waves around her shoulders; her crimson gowned was rich as blood and the gold swirls that embroidered the hem were as rays of the noonday sun in the sorrow. The young woman studied the man who was still bowing to her, she in return curtsied politely. He took her small sun kissed hand in his and put his hand respectfully on her waist.

Again, the mournful melody started and the couple glided around the floor quiet, still, graceful. Neither gaze faltered as they stared deeply into the other’s eyes. Time seemed to have held its breath for the two and the moon even seemed enraptured by their waltz. The song echoed through the room; a perfect tune for their ill-fated romance. All too soon the song began to fade and the couple came to a halt. Reluctantly, they parted, but their eyes did not shift from each other and the young man still clasped her hand in his as if holding on for dear life. Slowly, deliberately, he drew her hand up to his lips. Lovingly, he kissed her hand and the night collapsed.

This piece was written when I dreamed of love and felt it only came to tragedy