Their Fate | Teen Ink

Their Fate

By arichman40 PLATINUM, Basalt, Colorado
arichman40 PLATINUM, Basalt, Colorado

"Never judge a book by its cover"

Luke Andrews looked up from his book and gazed at Savannah Robertson across the room who was engrossed in her book. Oh, she is so beautiful. He thought. As soon as she looked up from her book, his head dropped back down, as he began to read again. When she looked across the room, she sighed. Does he ever notice me? She wondered.
After class, Luke met up with his friend Tyler for some advice. “Dude, she just sits there, and all I can do is stare at her the entire class period,” he moaned.
“Then just get up and talk to her,” Tyler said. “Man, it is not that hard. Why are you being so shy? She’s not going to bite you. The whole school can tell you two are meant to be together.”
“So you mean, like fate is trying to bring us together?” Luke asked.
“Yes!” Tyler cried. “That’s exactly what I mean. Go out there and get her while you can.”
Meanwhile, Savannah was dealing with the same situation. She was freaking out to her best friend Kayla. “Kayla, I can’t take this anymore!” she cried. “It’s just too much pressure and all I can do is stare at him all period.”
“Girl, you have to get out of your comfort zone and go talk to him,” Kayla said. “It’s fate that wants you and Luke to be together.”
“Fate?” Savannah asked. “Well I…”
All of a sudden, she bumped into Luke and everyone in the hallway stopped and stared, noticing what was going on, as Savannah and Luke stared and each other for many moments. Finally, Luke said, “Hey there.” He then continued down the hall.
“Oh my gosh, did you see that?” Savannah asked.
“You guys totally had a moment,” Kayla said.
“I know,” Savannah sighed.
“This is your chance,” Kayla said. “Catch him after school and talk to him about it.”
“Okay, I will,” Savannah said.
Later that day, Savannah met Luke outside the front doors of Basalt High School.
“Hey Luke, can we talk?” she asked.
“Sure,” Luke said. “Do you want to sit down?” He gestured towards the blue bench.
“Sure,” she said. They both sat down. “So…I’ve been seeing you in our English class, and I want to talk to you, but every time I look at you and see how handsome you are, I get really shy.”
“Really?” Luke asked. “Every time I see you, I notice how beautiful you are, and can’t get the nerve to say hi to you.”
“You said ‘Hey there’ to me in the hall today,” Savannah reminded him.
“That was after my friend Tyler gave me the courage to talk to you,” Luke said.
“So this is a scam?” Savannah asked. She began to get up.
“No, wait, it’s not,” Luke said, reaching for her hand. “I needed some advice, so I went to him. I really care about you; I just didn’t know how to tell you.”
Savannah sat back down. “Do you belivee in fate?” she asked. “Like a message that the world is sending but you can’t figure out?”
“Tyler was telling me about it this morning,” Luke said. “I’ve realized that fate is what’s telling us we’re meant to be together.”
“My friend Kayla told me the same thing,” Savannah said. “I couldn’t agree with her more.”
“So…” Luke said.
“So,” Savannah said.
“I really care about you Savannah,” he told her. “Will you go out with me?”
“I’d be honored,” Savannah said.
He leaned towards her and kissed her gently. It was a passionate kiss and when they separated, they smiled.
“I guess fate is really magical,” Luke said. He put his arm around her.
“It brought us together, so yes, it is,” Savannah agreed.