Daddy's Little Princess | Teen Ink

Daddy's Little Princess

By skyler_anne GOLD, Brewer, Maine
skyler_anne GOLD, Brewer, Maine

"what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger"

"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you I had no control over."

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.” -Pre

The sun shines down on this wonderful day, splashing glorious colors along the white walls. This day that couldn’t have turned out any better. Oh, this day, the one I have been waiting all my life. Nothing could possibly go wrong. Everything has gone perfectly right all day. This is what was meant to be, I can feel it, along with the nerves.

Birds chirps happily as I make my way to my spot in front of the huge doors. They’re carved beautifully out of some sort of dark wood. I wait, and find myself looking at the smaller door for my father. That’s when my heart sinks and I’m reminded that this is the one thing that isn’t perfect. I can’t have my father here. He’s gone, unable to come back from his tour for my special day. Tears well up in my eyes and anger courses through my body. How could they take him by surprise and send him overseas when I’m here? This is my special day, and I need my daddy to share it with. There was no possible way to postpone it.

The door creaks open. I turn my attention back to it, expecting my baby brother to be there in his tuxedo. Instead I find a pleasant surprise. I jump and let the tears fall for joy. Standing there is my father, tall and handsome in his classic, black tuxedo.

“Daddy!!!” I exclaim with pure happiness, running into his arms.

“Hey baby girl,” his deep voice mumbles. I press my face into his shoulder.

“You made it! I thought that they weren’t letting you come back over?” I push myself away from him so I can look up into his face.

“How could I miss my princess’ wedding? It only happens once in a lifetime. God, you’re so gorgeous. You look just like your mother.” I match his smile and pull him in for another hug.

“I’m so happy you’re here.”

“I wouldn’t miss it for the world,” music on the piano starts, “I guess that’s our cue. How about we get this show on the road?” Dad moves around so we’re facing the two main doors again. I slip my hand through the crook of his arm and take my flowers.

“Let’s do it. I can do anything with you here.” The doors open up to the new opportunities that I’ll face, and I gladly take the step over with the one man that will love me forever. Through those doors I look around. People rise around me and there’s a mumble through the crowd. I walk slowly with Dad at my side, this is it. This is the big day.

At the end of the aisle waits my husband to be, Jonathan Williams. A broader smile automatically takes a place on my face. He’s handsome, with his dark hair, dark eyes and tan complexion going perfectly with his classic tux. His smile matches mine, probably thinking about how I look in my lacy, strapless, white dress. We make it to the end of the aisle, and Dad comes to my side once we stop.

“She’s yours to take care of now. You better take good care of her,” he says.

“Of course I will, you know I couldn’t imagine my life without her.”

“I know Jon, I know. I have great faith in you.”