A Letter to my Sister's Future Boyfriend

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Greetings!

For dating my dear little sister, you must be either a very special man or a complete creep who wants to take advantage of her. If you are her first boyfriend, then I suspect it is the latter. All you have to do to disprove my theory is visit our family! If my sister has conned you into deciding to meet us, then you are either very brave or very stupid. Again, I suspect it is the latter.

Anyway, I guess you should know what to expect.

As soon as your vehicle pulls into our driveway, you will be watched. If you are even mildly aware of your surroundings, you will see three short, dark-skinned men in military gear. These are three of the seasonal Filipino workers we employ on our apiary. One of them will be armed with a pellet gun and another will be armed with my dad’s bear hunting rifle. The last one doesn’t need a gun; he’s a bull wrestler. While these three men are dangerous, they aren’t the ones you need to worry about.

At our front door you will be greeted by dad and his double-barrel shotgun. One barrel is filled with rock salt and bacon rind while the other has an actual shell. This is a warning as to what will happen if you break her heart. Still, dad is not the one you should be the most afraid of.

No, the person you should fear most is my mother. She has the aura of a military general and the ruthless streak of a Mafia boss. It is a rare young man that is not intimidated by her. Personally, I don’t think you are one of these rare men.

But if you love my little sister despite her psychotic family, you do indeed deserve her love. If you stick around long enough to marry her, then maybe I can accept you as my brother-in-law. Maybe.

This is from my own point-of-view, but it is a fictional letter. Then again, this could happen in real life if my little sister brings a boyfriend home!

Please leave a comment and tell me what you think!

on Nov. 5 2015 at 8:40 am
KatariOsborne BRONZE, White Castle, Louisiana
I can relate to you in everyway because at my house it’s the same way as stated, “If you are even mildly aware of your surroundings, you will see three short, dark-skinned men in military gear.” My dad gets all his friends over for my sisters’ boyfriend and they drill him like he’s in the military, and like you said if she fools him into coming he’s either a brave or crazy person. I really love your short story because this is my life as well.

on Nov. 23 2014 at 12:10 pm
abomnibal BRONZE, Leeds, Other

for freeeeeeeeeeee

funny, sensative and exactley how any brother sould be :)

on Aug. 19 2013 at 1:49 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

I think everyone can relate to this on some level. :)

on Aug. 19 2013 at 1:48 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

A word of advice to all men meeting their girlfriend's family: watch out for the mother.  They are ALWAYS the scariest. ;) Thank you for the suggestion and thanks for the thoughtful comment!

on Aug. 19 2013 at 1:47 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

I'm glad you thought it was funny and enjoyed it so much!  Thanks for commenting. :)

on Aug. 19 2013 at 1:47 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you! :)

kamkit BRONZE said...
on Aug. 6 2013 at 10:56 pm
kamkit BRONZE, Ventura, California
This sounds like my family LOL

Delmara SILVER said...
on Jul. 31 2013 at 3:06 pm
Delmara SILVER, Paris, Texas
Whoa, do I wish I'd seen this a couple years back. I could've scared the living daylights out of a couple guys who dared to date my sister! This is really good! I absolutely love your descriptions. You should write one of these for a potential girlfriend for a brother. But of course a girl would react differently to this kind of letter. As you said, the mother's the scariest!

on Jul. 24 2013 at 8:25 pm
catwithglasses SILVER, Sewickley, Pennsylvania

"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you don't deserve me at my best."
-Marilyn Monroe

This is FANTASTIC!! It is so funny! I loved reading it. Keep writing. 

on Jul. 19 2013 at 4:42 pm
DawnieRae BRONZE, Lancaster, Ohio
This was really good! Keep writing I love the way you write!

on Jul. 12 2013 at 7:57 am
hippiechild BRONZE, Lakewood, Ohio

Not because they are perfect, but because they are free. Because they are alive.

I loved this! It's so cute and I can totally relate to being a bit protective over my little sister. Thanks for the the funny and well written story. Your writing has a certain feeling about it that is very unique!

on Jun. 16 2013 at 3:03 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you! :)

on Jun. 16 2013 at 3:02 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

That's great that you enjoyed my piece so much!  Thank you. :)

on Jun. 16 2013 at 3:01 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks!  It's part of the big-sister job description, isn't it?

on Jun. 16 2013 at 3:01 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you! :)

on Jun. 16 2013 at 9:44 am
Shaas_It_is.. BRONZE, Udupi, Other

Happiness presents itself before man with a crown of sorrow. He who accepts it must accept both.
-Swami Vivekananda

Don't be led by your problems. Be led by your dreams.

Humorous and exactly the way i'd warn my sister's boyfriend.. :) Nice work.. Keep writing.. :)

on Jun. 14 2013 at 11:47 am
CallMeAria PLATINUM, Vancouver, Other

EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON :)

Loved it! Perfect description of what a guy has to go through to date a girl in some families. It was humorous and your attention to details made me read it right through to the end (which is rare, because I get bored kind of easily -.-)

on Jun. 12 2013 at 11:32 am
RunnergirlAlli SILVER, Tyndall AFB, Florida

"When writing a novel a writer should create living people; people not characters. A character is a caricature." -- Ernest Hemingway "If you do not breathe through writing, if you do not cry out in writing, or sing in writing, then don't write." -- Anais Nin

I, too, am a big sister. I completely understand where you're coming from here. I LOVE this piece. You are a great writer! Keep up the good work. :)

on Jun. 2 2013 at 12:20 pm
lovebass BRONZE, Alexandria, Virginia

"Bass players are always the intellectual kind, but nobody knows it."

That's great! ( Reminds me of what I would say to my little sister's boyfriend!)

on May. 30 2013 at 1:30 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Honestly, I think that's a conversation every girl should be required to have with her brother: treat girls with respect.  You're an awesome big sister. :)  Thanks for commenting!

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!