Wish, Prologue | Teen Ink

Wish, Prologue

By LittleMidnight PLATINUM, Glendale, Arizona
LittleMidnight PLATINUM, Glendale, Arizona

Life is but a book just waiting to be filled, you make your own story

The Princess walked through the woods searching. He had to be near their secret place, that was where they both always went when they wanted to see each other. She found him in the small garden behind the tiny home.
“There you are Gray; I’ve been looking for you everywhere.” Midnight stopped short when she noticed that her dear friend’s cheeks were stained with tears. “Oh dear,” she whispered and she rushed over to him.

Gray looked up at her, and his tears started anew.

“Did they bully you again?” He heisted before nodding. She gave a harsh growl from deep within her throat. “If only I had my full powers I would turn them all to mush.”

Gray sniffed and wiped his dripping nose with the back of his hand. After wiping his hand on his pants he took Midnight’s hand in his, “please don’t speak like that. It’s my fault for being the son of a who**.”

She only glared at him. “No, it’s not your fault and that shouldn’t be an excuse to abuse a child anyway.”

He smiled weakly, “you’re a child too, you know. You really shouldn’t forget that.”

She sighed, “Fine, then I won’t speak of murder but only if you promise you’ll come home with me. Siren is probably looking for me, and you know how she gets. She seems to love you to death and you could charm her”

He stared down at the dirty gown she wore, “well she has reason to worry. A lady should not be playing as a boy would” he blushed slightly “and she treats me no better then she treats you.”

She snorted and waved her hand dismissing the issue “It does not matter. And it is not as if I will really become queen one day no matter what some prophet may say.” And she hoped to never be a queen with so many grueling duties either. It was her older sister, Juliet, who was to become the next queen of Selene and of this very plain that they lived in. But a fortnight ago, a prophet foretold of the youngest daughter of the late queen taking over and becoming the sole savior of the whole kingdom. Her sister and her lover would help her defeat the evil that meant to take over. She looked at her dear Gray and frowned. She did not really like the idea of being with another if it was not him. She didn’t know why, but I just didn’t seem right.

Gray looked up at her and, as if thinking of the same thing, asked “if you are to have a lover, then does that mean you won’t be able to talk to me or be with me anymore?” He looked to be on the verge of crying again.

She gave him a sweet smile, “Oh Gray that could never happen.” And she wouldn’t let it, she thought to herself. “We’ll always be together I promise.” She hugged him, “plus I don’t think I would even want anyone as a lover.”

“Could I be your lover,” he asked, blushing.

Midnight only chuckled and then a marvel idea popped into her head. “How ‘bout this,” she pulled out a knife that her father had given her for seventh birthday. She always carried it everywhere she went. It was to her a precious treasure. “Kneel before me, my love.” She said, and chuckled at the phrase. He knelt down eagerly and nervously, trusting her fully. She knew the ritual for a couple that would bind them forever and would join their souls so that they could never take another. Her father had taken her to many weddings due to the fact that royalty must be present. The rituals had always intrigued her, and now she would perform it on her own. She made a small cut in the center of both of her palms. Then she reached for his in a silent demand. He heisted before complying. When both were cut, she intertwined both their fingers together their blood blending.

She looked deeply into his gray eyes so much like his name. She smiled, “Copy what I say ok,” he nodded and she closed her eyes, tilting her face to the full moon, their goddess, Selene’s blessing spreading throughout her.

I wish I may I wish I might have the wish I wish tonight
Upon this moon so old yet new
I pray upon my soul to you
May this love become one with me
My soul and life from two to one
A love as endless and deep as the blue sea

Midnight felt a part of her soul torn away and replaced with an unfamiliar but comforting presence. She slowly peeked open her eyes. Gray’s were full of wonder.

“Tis done now.” she said just as her father would at the end of every ritual. She smiled at him, joy filling her, “Now we will be together forever. A part of me for you and you for me.”

Suddenly he kissed her. She felt the soft and unpracticed press of his lips against hers. She had only ever kissed her father and that was on his cheek. She slowly closed her eyes and kissed back.

Both came up for air, and stared into each other’s eyes. They shared a secret smile beneath their goddess’ moon that stood full in its entire splendor.

In sync the both stated, “Forever together.”

“Wake Mindy, you need to wake up.” Midnight sat and rubbed the sleep from her eyes.

She looked up with blurry sight to see her father’s large frame. “Father, what is wrong.” She asked drowsy.

“I don’t have time to explain, they are coming and you must hurry.” As her eyes adjusted she noticed that in his arms lay a child that looked the same age as her. Her eyes widened and she reached out. “Don’t touch her. She is gone and has joined our goddess, and she will be your decoy. They cannot take over this kingdom as long as you are alive. Your mother’s magic made sure of that. I just pray to Selene that they do not know that just yet.” He laid the too still girl next to her and made a grab for her. Midnight shrunk back, confusion and fear written plainly on her face. “Love, you must leave, hurry. I will not lose you too.” He grabbed her in his arms. In the corner, her pet panther, Alice, strode toward them, her coat gleaming from the full moon outside the window. “Come Alice I have a big job for you.”

Her Father rushed into the hall with her in his arms and ran down the corridor toward the door to the tower she had been forbidden to ever enter. He bounded up the stairs two at a time, Alice close at his heels him. When they reached the top he put her down so that he could open the door. He ushered her into the room. The whole room was illuminated with candles, the walls bare. The candles led the way to the only furniture a mirror as tall and wide as her father. She stood there dazed not quite yet understanding what was happening.

“Father what’s going on? What has happened?” From out the single window that the room had the clank of metal meeting metal floated up. There must be a battle going on. Her heart started to race at realization “Father, where is my sister? Where is Juliet?”

Pain and misery flashed across his face, but was quickly replaced with a determination that scared the little girl. “You must leave this plain. Gabriel, the leader of warlocks is coming to get you.” He paused before saying, head down, “Your sister killed herself to stop him from getting to her too.” A tear ran down his cheek, “You must leave so that her death was not in vain.”

She only stood there shocked. Her sister, her dearest older sister was gone. No! This was a nightmare, “I can die too so that he won’t get me, I want to join my sister.” She tried to reach for her knife she kept folded in her gown.

Her father stopped her and took the knife, “No you mustn’t. You are the last heir the thrown. If you were to die, your mother’s final spell will break and the kingdom will fall into chaos. You need to stay safe.” He started to drag her to the mirror. “This mirror will send you somewhere safe, where no one will know who you are.” He gazed down at her sadly, “and you must also forget who you are.”

Before she could say a word, his hand passed over her face, and she couldn’t think of what she was going to say. She looked around dazed. She didn’t know where she was or who she was. What was she doing why did she feel sad. She looked to the man who stood inform of her. Who was he?

“Your name is Inez Showalter, and you are only an orphan with no known family.” The strange man hugged her tight. She felt wetness against her neck. Was this man crying? Why? Was something wrong? Why did she feel like crying also? “I will always love you my precious daughter.” Those were the last words that she heard before there was nothing.

Charles stared down at his unconscious child. She would be the last hope for their kingdom, and she would live. He turned to the panther and waved his hand, magic spilling over the cat. Suddenly there was a little girl in front of him. She looked surprised, but said nothing as she stared up at him with wide, curious eyes.

“Alice, you will forget what you are as well. When Midnight turns thirty, you will begin to remember this night so that you will know what needs to be done. She will be brought back here, and become our queen. Till then I will hold off war between warlocks and Fairies that is sure to start with her absence. You will keep your human form only if you keep my daughter safe. If she is to die, you will change back and never come here again. You will feel compelled to keep her safe always.” The girl nodded in understatement.

He handed Midnight over to her, and she took her with little effort. “Once you have stepped through this portal you will not remember anything. The portal will take you to where you need to be.” He kissed his daughters forehead. “Take good care of her. Gabriel will not be able to find her too soon. Let us hope it will be too late for him to act. Her powers are sealed, a shield placed upon her that only I can release. May Selene be with you both.”

Alice stepped through the portal and was gone.

Long after they had passed through the mirror, he just stared at it. His little girl would grow to never know him till it was too late. The sounds of boots on the stair warned him of danger. He uttered a quick spell that sent the mirror to a place no one would know to find it.

When the door was busted open his only thought was to his deceased wife, and soul mate. Let us hope that we have done all that we can my love.

Through the newly made bond, Gray knew that she was no longer on the same plain as him. At least that meant she was able to get away. His father had been given word of the surprise attack on the Fairies’ kingdom. The king of the werewolves had gathered his army to march to his neighbor’s kingdom and help defend them. The kings of both kingdoms lived in peace and were great allies to each other. The warlocks were invading Selene castle. But Gray knew they could not be able to take it fully. Midnight had once told him of the final spell that her mother had cast upon her before she had taken her last breath. It was a story both had heard often from her father. The castle had little to worry about.

Midnight, he thought wistfully, where have you gone? As soon as this horrifying night was over and all was calm he would gather the courage to ask her father. If the king said nothing, he could tell him of the bond they had made. He needed to know where she was. He couldn’t be weak anymore. He wouldn’t cry because others looked down on him. He would protect the place Mindy would come back to.

He looked up to the full moon, the same one in which he had kissed Midnight under. “May Selene keep my love safe.”

This is the very begining to my Novel "Wish". This book means alot to me and im working hard to finish it. Enjoy!

on Mar. 15 2011 at 10:00 am
JustAnotherOwl SILVER, Unknown, New York

"See, we don't really care who you are;
Everyone is capable of looking up and wishing on a star.
So catch it, so contagious, this day-dreamer's disease,
And hope can be your sword, slaying darkness with belief."

"Sanctuary"- Paradise Fears

I  think this is really very good and very interesting...There are some parts that could use a bit of tweaking, but I like it a lot! Sometimes...I think things happen to fast and some parts are slow...But just polish it a bit and it will be a great story!

Oh, and sorry I couldn't find it before! You said it was a novel, so I assumed it would have been submitted as a novel...You should submit it under there. When you continue, it will be easier for readers to keep track of the chapters (:

on Mar. 14 2011 at 8:57 pm

I actually have up to chapter 3 done and am working on 4. I hope to have it done soon!!!

mememelo said...
on Mar. 14 2011 at 8:32 pm
mememelo, Lamar, South Carolina

"

i think its great!! i want to read the rest of it so make sure you let me know when its completely finished :):):)