Pickpocket | Teen Ink

Pickpocket

By CanYouSeeTheCrazy PLATINUM, Cle Elum, Washington
CanYouSeeTheCrazy PLATINUM, Cle Elum, Washington

"I know why everyone in this world is so desperate to find love."
"Oh yeah? Why then?"
"Because, it's the closest thing we have to magic."

Prologue

She lives in a big city, one of the biggest. Seattle, Washington is a really big city. She lives here because big cities have a lot of people with money. And most of them keep their money in wallets, “safely” tucked inside of pockets, purses, handbags.... Most of them don't even realize their money is gone until they go to pay for something expensive, like a ring, or food. Then there is nothing they can do but scream at the skies.

This is her living. She is the wallet fairy, the one who makes them all just disappear, along with all the money inside. And no one knows but her.

Every day, she lays on her bench, sleeping. It's a very old bench, with the white paint peeling to reveal lightly colored wood. She likes the wood's color.

Not the buses screeching to a stop, or the people's loud shoes click-clacking on the road, or even a baby crying woke her. Only the blazing sun, shining down on her at about noon every day, could make her eyes open and her body move.

Prologue

PART I

“Hey!” I awake abruptly, and almost fall off my bench. Looking around quickly, there is but one person across the street. They're walking quickly, bundled up in dark red and black. Oh, and then there's the insanely cute guy who's looking at me like I'm a worm.

“Why did you wake me up?” I groggily croak out. I am not a morning person. Meanwhile, my mind, for once, is thinking about his sharp cheek and jawline, deep brown hair hanging in his eyes and not of his wallet, probably sitting inside a coat pocket.

“I woke you up because you are sprawled out on my bench.” Hmm, the cute guy speaks. Impatiently, he cracks his knuckles on his left hand.

“Your bench. You think this is your bench. Why do you think it's your bench?” Now I'm simply amused that this dude is so convinced about who owns the bench. Which is obviously mine, by the way.

“First of all, I don't think this is my bench. I know this is my bench.” Mr Bench Man quickly sets down his bag, and makes air motions for me to sit up and move over. Uughh... I am not awake enough to move over. Who knows why, but I sit up and move to one side anyway. And then the cute guy points to the only nice part on the wood, and I notice a little gold piece with a name on it.

“The plate says Cooper Magnum. Are you Cooper Magnum?” I state blankly. He better not be Cooper Magnum. Then this really would be his bench.

“Of course I'm Cooper Magnum. I'm just dressed like a pedestrian so that I don't attract groups of fan girls.” He says, like it should be obvious; practically common sense to know who the cute guy is.

“Well, that's just brilliant. Good for you.” Should the name Cooper Magnum be ringing any bells right now?

“I don't believe it. You don't know who I am. You might be the first person who doesn't know my face, or my name, or my status.” Now Cooper plunks himself down on my bench, and looks me in the eye, and then keeps looking me in the eye.

After extreme pause, “What's your name?” Cooper says. It sounds like his voice changed; before it was haughty and proud, but now it's more humorous and open-minded.

“Solstice.” His eyebrows shot up. “I was born on the fall solstice.” I continue without a blink.

“Your name... is beautiful.” With that, Cooper sent my heart into a beating frenzy and my stomach filled with butterflies. I sit and stare at him, speechless for the longest time.

“No one's ever said that to me.”

“Not even your parents?”

That struck a tender nerve. “My parents died when I was a baby. I'll never know if they thought it was beautiful.” My face and insides harden to stone when I say this, and the moment of wweakness in my knees leaves.

Now it's Cooper's turn to be speechless, as he sits like an awkward stone. “I didn't know,” he says softly, gently. I can just feel my shell starting to break when I realize what's happening, and put a stop to it immediately.

Standing up jerkily, I say, “Cooper Magnum, it's been interesting fighting with you about who owns this bench, but it is clearly me, and there is nothing you can do about it. I'll be going now, because I have some pockets to pick and wallets to plunder. Goodbye.” With that, I turn around and begin to walk away, when my arm is grabbed. When I turn around, who else than Cooper should be gripping it.

“Are you sure you have no idea who I am, or who my father, Darryl Magnum is, or what percent of the world's industries he runs?”

Caught unsuspecting, a look of dumb blankness comes over my features.

“I'll take that as a no. Forget I ever asked you, okay?” Cooper says lightly, but doesn't release my arm. Instead, I'm thrown off guard once again. “Would you like to see a movie with me?” He rushes the words out, like if he doesn't say them quick enough, he might blow up.

“Uhh...” is all I can manage to utter. But inside, I'm overloading with thoughts. Why does he want to go on a date with me? What did he mean about 'who his father is'? Why do I want so badly to say yes to him? “Sure,” I blurt suddenly.

A smile breaks out over his face, carving into his angel-like skin, smooth as glass.

“Great,” he starts, “I'll meet you here tonight at around 8. And wear something other than these,” he laughed and pulls on my tattered scarf.

Then he just, walks away.

I didn't even pick the guy.

this is just a brainstorm that sprouted from a spark. Will it turn into a fire? You decide. Should I continue the story of Solstice and Cooper?

wilderose121 said...
on Nov. 22 2011 at 11:33 am
second comment break dance! this is amaziing! update. sorry i don't do con crit.

yes u shuld finish LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!