We did everything wrong from the start | Teen Ink

We did everything wrong from the start

July 28, 2010
By MikiLuna SILVER, Ponce, Other
MikiLuna SILVER, Ponce, Other
6 articles 4 photos 14 comments

I remember the music that kept playing over and over, and how cold that night was, as we sat around the skating ring and the lights painted our world with color. You were there, right next to me, and we were as close as I never thought we could be.

The first time I saw you I would have never thought that half a year later you'd mean the world to me. It was a stupid day to meet you, as we sat around doing nothing and had lunch in a college classroom. We weren't even in college yet, just out on one of those school activities where you "help out" other people. It wasn't a romantic setting nor was it a romantic day. But you caught me off guard you know... There was something about you that I didn't think too much off at the time. I don't know if you thought much of me either.

And you weren't like those other boys that I'd met before. You didn't go straight for the punchline, you just wanted to be my friend. I think you'd even convinced yourself those where your only intentions as you looked for me all over the web. Nice use of technology huh? I remember our first conversation was first about school, then music, and so on till I spilled my soul online. I was the first to ask for your email, and you gave me your number too, in a kind effort to be my emotional hot line. My heart was still broken from a mistake of the past.

You did everything wrong from the start. Don't you know nice guys finish last? Don't you know you shouldn't get to comfortable, you should never become the best friend, or you will condemn yourself to fall in love while soaking her tears away...?
Well, you did everything wrong, and so did I... because I fell anyways.

You can only deny what is obvious for so long... especially when your friends are conspiring to bring you together. And so the first time we went out it was your birthday, and I was afraid you'd try to kiss me. But you didn't, you just stayed. You held my hand as I held yours, and didn't mind when I leaned on your shoulder. Suddenly everything felt perfect... never had it been so perfect. Till that night...

I remember the music that kept playing over and over, and how cold that night was, as we sat around the skating ring and the lights painted our world with color. You were there, right next to me, and we were as close as I never thought we could be.

Once again we were brought together by what would have been a stupid school activity otherwise. You were there right next to me looking at everyone around us, as I only looked at you. I finally said those words you'd been longing to hear for so long: "I love you (too)". It had taken me long enough. And so it was then you took me away, and the night blurred, as I don't remember which one of us leaned in first.

The night soon left us and we had to head back home, leaving that fairy tale world behind us, but you kept looking at me as a child that's seen magic for the first time. Colors surrounded us again as you let a small crayon blanket fall over my head. I'd never forget your eyes... You've been looking at me the same way ever since.