And I Fell For A Guy | Teen Ink

And I Fell For A Guy

By serendipitous615 PLATINUM, Frederick, Maryland
serendipitous615 PLATINUM, Frederick, Maryland

"Do you want to know the secret of self esteem? Here it is: If you want confidence, then understand how much you matter to God. If God loves you, who cares what anybody else thinks."

What’s worse than being alone on Valentine’s Day? I’ll tell you what is. It’s having someone “forget who you are” on Valentine’s Day right in the middle of Time Square in front of live TV.

By now you know I have a story to tell and I’d like to call it the tale of many mistakes.

I fell for a guy everyone warned me about. There have been rumors about him, Declan, seeing four girls at a time. But like I usually do, I ignored this obscured rumor and went on a date with him. He charmed me, made me swoon, and then stole my heart on the first date. Blah, blah, blah. I couldn’t believe the slander going around about him. Back then I thought Declan was the sweetest, most well-mannered guy I’ve ever met.

So he called me again, and again, and again, inviting me on adventurous dates I’ve only dreamt about going on. Of course I accepted and went with him without the consent of my friends.

By this point I have made five mistakes.
1.
I fell for Declan
2.
I didn’t listen to my best friends
3.
I went on a date with Declan
4.
I answered the phone when he called
5.
And I went out with him…again.
He treated me like I was the queen of England back in the 1600’s. Declan did everything a guy should do to get a girl. My favorite being him sending me random bouquets of flowers.
My friends were always telling me to “be careful” and to “watch out”. But I laughed and said Declan loves me and wouldn’t do anything to hurt me.
Ding, ding! Mistake number 6! I believed the act that bum put on and thought he “loved me.” But like my mother always said when I was younger, I fell in love too easily and didn’t see reality. Reality being this time that Declan didn’t care about me and certainly did not love me.
Only if I knew that before all of this happened.
Anyway, back to the story. It was coming close to Valentine’s Day and the day of the embarrassing display I didn’t know about yet. I was ecstatic about what I thought Declan had in mind. That was until he told me “oh honey, I want to be with you for all of Valentine’s Day, I really do, but I have to go into work at six.” So me being me, I planned something on my own. I made reservations at this cute restaurant in Time Square for lunch.
On the morning of Valentine’s Day I woke up, slid on my dress and heels and walked to the restaurant for my “romantic” lunch with Declan. Once I was in view of the restaurant, I saw Declan waiting outside the door with a hand full of flowers. I ran across the street, dodging taxi cabs and cars so I could give him a hug. And once I let go I saw a huge camera in my face and a middle aged guy in a suit standing next to Declan.
The guy introduced himself with the news on channel five and said he was doing a piece on couples on Valentine’s Day.
Me being as in love as I was, made Declan talk about this special day for us. I should’ve gotten the hint something bad was going to happen by the sweat running down the side of his face.
The “embarrassing display” went something like this.
News guy: so what are you and your girl friend doing this romantic day?
Declan: well…we are dinning at this restaurant here. Isn’t that right, Rachel?
Me: Rachel?
Declan: (sweating even more) oh, I’m so sorry, Erica?
Me: who is Erica?
News guy: oh no, trouble in the land of love!
Me: I’m Mandy.
Declan: I know, I was just…just
Me: just telling me my friends were right.
So, do I even need to count up the mistakes made in that last part? Bottom line, I’m sure Declan will be alone this Valentine’s Day.

Emilia901 GOLD said...
Emilia901 GOLD, Moreno Valley, California

"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." Jessamyn West

Haha that was cute and very realistic from my point of view. ( I could see myself as a possible Mandy XD)

I loved it great job! =^_^=

on Feb. 21 2010 at 11:09 am
Mykindapeopledontcarewhatyouthink BRONZE, Gueydan, Louisiana
great job i really liked it

humanity_vs._reason BRONZE, Hayward, California

Why should I be afraid of falling to the ground if its soil was the very thing that blossomed me?

As sad as the outcome of that story was, I have to say i was thoroughly entertained. There was never a dull moment. Excellently done!