Smile Sweetheart ch.2 | Teen Ink

Smile Sweetheart ch.2

By Nikiblue PLATINUM, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Nikiblue PLATINUM, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

"Stupid Is As Stupid Does." -Forest Gump (;
"No one who achieves success does so without the help of others. The wise and confident acknowledge this help with gratitude."

The bus ride home was terrible. People were taunting me about Nick and saying cruel things.
“Are you gonna transform him into a zombie, too?” one said.
“I hope he doesn’t die, he’s too nice,” another said. I tried desperately to ignore the negative insults thrown at me. This was exactly what I was afraid of. The Goth girl gets a friend and they all go berserk. They just loved to make my life as miserable as possible. Next thing I would know on the front page of the school’s paper headlines would read: The Goth Girl Gets a Friend! or Hope the New Kid Doesn’t Die. I felt like crying my eyes out when I thought of all the nasty things they would come up with. Poor Nick, I was convinced he would never want to be my friend after he saw what being my friend was like. The misery of food being thrown at you, the misery of being name called. He would have to endure it all because of me. Stupid little me. I sunk down in my seat, and tried to ignore the insults. When I got home I was going straight to my room to cry. Forget the homework. I’d tell Nick about this too. Maybe that would make him change his mind. I was almost positive I liked him, but I would never make him go through this for my sake. The bus came to a stop and I rushed down the stairs and to my house. I heard the snickers behind me as I hurried off. I threw the front door open and slammed it closed.
“Morgie?” I heard a high pitched voice say. My little sister rushed to the door to hug me. “Yay Morgie, you’re home! Now we can play tic-tac-toe!” She squealed.
“Not today, Gina. I’m not doing so good. Maybe some other time, kiddo.” I replied trying to keep my voice even. The water works were coming, I could feel them. Gina dropped her arms and looked at my face with a disappointed look, but she didn’t argue. I walked around her dropping my bag next to beat up brown sofa. I walked down the narrow hallway to my room. I closed the door lightly. Mom must be sleeping. I plopped down on my red bed and began to cry.
The light nock on my door woke me up. I looked at small clock on my nightstand. It read 6:15.
“Yes?” I croaked.
“Can I come in, sweetie?” my mother’s voice was drowned in worry. Great.
“Yeah,” I said, sitting up in and Indian position. She opened the door slowly, cautiously.
“How are you feeling, honey? Gina said you looked upset. She was grumpy because you wouldn’t play with her.”
“I’m totally fine,” I lied. “She was just grumpy because she didn’t get what she wanted.”
She sighed. “Are you sure you’re ok?”
“Mom I’m fine! I have homework I need to get done.” I growled. I crawled out of bed and let her watch me stalk out of the room. I grabbed the homework and finished in an hour. I grabbed my phone from my pocket. It said I had 1 new message. I flipped it open and read the text.
Hey Morgan, its Nick.
Hey, what’s up? I texted back quickly.
Nm. Hows life at ur house?
Lovely. I cried myself to sleep and just finished my homework.
U cried? What happened?
Nothing you need to worry about…
Tell me.
Its nothing. I g2g bye.
I placed my phone on the table and tried to avoid the constant buzzing it made from Nick trying to figure out what was wrong. Then the buzzing stopped. I sighed in relief, then my ring went off. Ugh. I flipped the phone open and put it to my ear.
“What?”
“I need to know what happened,” Nick’s desperate voice said on the other end.
“I don’t even know why you care so much. No one else does.” He was silent for a minute.
“I don’t know why I care so much, but I do. Doesn’t that count?”
“Why should it?”
“Because... well… I don’t know… it just should!” His determination silenced the remark I was about to say.
“Ok, whatever. I was crying because people were insulting me again….but about you.”
“You shouldn’t let that get to you. I’m here for you, I promise.”
“I think you’ll change your mind when you come here,” I replied softly.
“Oh, I didn’t tell you! My parents had to pay a couple grand, but I’m going to school tomorrow. With you.”
“Really? Well then you’ll see what I mean. I’ll see you at school tomorrow. See ya Nick.”
“Wait, Morgan?”
“Yeah?” I asked surprised.
“Never mind, it’s nothing.”
“Ok, bye.”
“Bye” He said something after bye, but I couldn’t make it out. Then the line went dead. I was like a stone sitting there at the table. What did he say? I was so anxious to know. The only thing I made out was “I….” What was I suppose to make out of that? It could mean a lot of things. I hate you. I love you. I don’t want to be friends. There were so many possibilities. I would just have to ask him tomorrow.
“Mom I’m going to bed. Night.”

on Mar. 28 2010 at 9:06 am
justsmile164 BRONZE, New York, New York

"Talent is nothing without character."

i love this! you're a very good writer :)

on Mar. 19 2010 at 11:02 am
BleedingRose PLATINUM, Frederic, Wisconsin

*The darkness holds infinite possibilities.

(mine)

1) Love your work1 2) I wanna know what nick said-uh! (You know how people add an 'uh' to the end of words when they frusterated? Ya, well) lolz great job!

-Rose

on Mar. 15 2010 at 10:24 am
x0x0Luckyx0x0 SILVER, Enterprise, Utah

"Killing under the cloak of war is still murder.."-Albert Einstein.

Like I've said before....I love your work.

Lost-In-Life GOLD, Whitby, Other

It's never to late, if it weren't for the last minute many things would never get done!

This is pretty good, as well. I love how this leaves you with the suspense of what is he going to say which makes readers interested.

KanenRenoir SILVER, Caldwell, Texas
Another well written chapter. You keep me wanting more!

Tori.Lovett GOLD, Alexandria, Louisiana

Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart. ~William Wordsworth
--------
The wastebasket is a writer's best friend. ~Isaac Bashevis Singer

my chapter one and two got published on the web so check it out! Thanks

Yes of course I'll check it out. Just put it up and I'll be sure to look at it.

Tori.Lovett GOLD, Alexandria, Louisiana

--------

Oh ok. I saw it. I totally missed that, sorry.

If I sent you my chapter 1 in the forums, do u think you could give me some criticism? i'd really appreciate it.

I put it in Ch. 1. and yeah I realize that I made everything a little fast paced, but I already wrote quite a few chapters so I'm not sure how to really slow it down.

Tori.Lovett GOLD, Alexandria, Louisiana

--------

Love it! I think the relationship is a little rushed though. They just met, I mean. Other than that, I really like it. It's amazing(: Also, how did Nick get Morgan's number? You left that out, I think, unless I missed it.

on Feb. 11 2010 at 11:33 am
alchive PLATINUM, Fort Worth, Texas

The best cure for writer's block is...to write

once again you have great style and you convey your emotions perfectly! a few phrases that could be better worded- but authors can never rest, ya know!

Libby H. said...
I love the dialogue its so realistic! i <3 this story. :)

skstorc BRONZE said...
skstorc BRONZE, Port Orange, Florida

\"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have left.\"

yeah i know i wrote 2 more poems like beginning of last week. lol.. the story draws me into reading more. =) cant wait to read the next chapter

yeah i posted the continuation. you know how long it takes for them to check it and all haha ill keep posting chapters though dont worry (:

emily23 BRONZE said...
emily23 BRONZE, Solon, Maine

Every story has an end, but in life every end is just a new beginning.

I love stuff like this I know u have a chapter 3 up but is that the end of r u going to continue?

haha thank you so much! I'll post more I promise. Im happy you liked it (:

beneath_the_surface, Columbia, South Carolina
Oh wow! You HAVE to write more. That was amazing. Beautiful. I loved it. Please, I am begging you, write more!!!!