The Purple Envelope | Teen Ink

The Purple Envelope

By Life-in-between96 BRONZE, Bellevue, Nebraska
Life-in-between96 BRONZE, Bellevue, Nebraska

The first time I saw him I knew there was something unique about him. I knew he was ‘the one’. I was right for him, and he was right for me. We used to sit in my basement and play Monopoly. I would always lose but, just being with him made me feel like a winner. That is why his last day on Earth, was the last day I was ever the same. We spent the last few moments of his life in a hospital room holding each other, and repeating, “I love you.” I love you. I love you. I love you. His final, ‘I love you’ was whispered softly into my ear, rich with sincerity. When his skin went cold and his eyes closed and his life slipped away, a part of me went with him.
The funeral didn’t take very long to plan. Half of our senior class showed up. After the funeral Todd’s mom came up to me. She said, “I know how much you loved Todd.” She choked back tears as she said her late son’s name. “I just wanted to let you know how much he loved you. He was always talking about you. You became his reason for getting out of bed in the morning. He really loved you. And I’m so happy that he did, because I couldn’t have picked any woman better than you.” By this point I was bawling my eyes out. I stepped toward her and wrapped my arms around her. We both cried. After a while I slowly stepped back, wiping my eyes. “Thank you”, I said, “That really means a lot to me. And I did love Todd. More than life itself.” She nodded and reached into her purse, pulling out a bright purple envelope. “When the cancer began to spread eight weeks ago, Todd gave this to me. He said it was for you, when his time came. I never read it”, she said as she handed it to me. Sure enough, in his handwriting was my name on the front of the envelope. I looked down at it. It was him. In my hands held a bit of Todd. When I looked up to say thank you she was all ready gone.
I walked over to the park and found myself an empty bench. Carefully, I broke the seal and pulled out the letter.

To My Dearest Jaime,

If you are reading this now it means my life has been cut short. While I’ve lived a full life with many experiences, I have only one regret. And that regret would be, not asking for your hand in marriage when I had the chance. When I wasn’t sick. But you must know that a simple ring would not express the undying love I have for you. I love you. You were the reason for my life to continue on. Every moment I was not with you my heart grew heavy with sorrow. I dreamed of you each night and our life together. Jaime, I knew from the very first time I saw you, you were the one I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. But who wouldn’t want to spend eternity with the most stunning, intelligent, funny, klutzy person in the world? Please don’t mourn my death. My time on Earth was blessed. You were there. I love you. And I’ll be waiting for you.

Loving you every minute of everyday,

Todd

P.S. Did you like the envelope? I know purple is your favorite color. ?

its_me GOLD said...
on Feb. 7 2010 at 4:20 pm
its_me GOLD, San Mateo, California
awesome story. poor Jaime! would you mind giving my feedback on my work? I'd really appreciate it!

shaencase said...
on Jan. 20 2010 at 6:42 am
Great article. I was hooked by sentence 6. What ever happened to Jamie!!!!