The Black Sunset | Teen Ink

The Black Sunset

By meekoninja_d_animegeek BRONZE, Warsaw, Illinois
meekoninja_d_animegeek BRONZE, Warsaw, Illinois

"Sigh...I'm so bored I actually feel like doing my science homework in class..." -Me :P
"You mean his alchemisim?" -Gabby (my friend, talking about Edward from FMA)

I never thought I’d go blind. Never in my life had I ever imagined being locked up in complete darkness. What did I do to deserve this? I ate healthy foods, exercised regularly, gave money to charities, and brought food to the homeless. Why did it have to be me?

All I do now is sit outside and listen to the birds sing their beautiful songs. Every Wednesday I can smell the sweet smell of fresh apple pie coming from the neighbor’s house. I smell the petunias around my mailbox, but I never see them. Their beautiful white and purple petals seemed to disappear, along with the rest of the world.

The friendly man across the street has been trying to teach me Braille. He bought me a guide dog and a cane. I believe his name is Mitchell. Yes, Mitchell Herning, who comes over every day to check up on me. I keep telling him I am fine on my own, but he insists on checking anyway. Personally, I don’t mind the company.

I sighed and slowly swung on the swinging chair on my porch. Jasmine, my guide dog, was lying at my feet, for I could feel her soft fur on my bare toes. I heard light footsteps come up the porch steps. I turned my head to the sound even though I knew I couldn’t see what or who it was.

“Hello,” said a voice. That voice belonged to Mitchell. I smiled at him.

“Hello, Mitchell,” I said. I felt weight add on to the chair and I knew Mitchell had sat next to me.

“I-I wanted to know if you’d like to come with me to watch the sunset,” he said. He sounded a little nervous.

“I’d love to, but what’s the point of watching the sunset when all you can see is black?” I asked him. I think that’s just the question he was trying to avoid.

“Well, I, uh, could always tell you the colors?” he said. It sounded like more of a question then a statement. I smiled at his idea. I liked it.

“Sure. When will we have to go?” I asked.

“Right now!” Mitchell said in complete excitement. I gasped as Mitchell grabbed my hand and led me to his car.

When we got to wherever we were, Mitchell took my hand again and led me into the grass. He sat down and pulled me down with him. The grass smelled wonderful. I could hear the waves as they rolled onto the beach sand and then back away. I bet it looked beautiful.

“Here it is,” Mitchell said. He squeezed my hand which told me he was enjoying this.

“What are the colors?” I asked. Mitchell hesitated before answering.

“Well, there is….love in the sky; love, which represents the color red. Um, there is light love too; light love, the color pink. There is fire in the sky; fire as in orange. There is also a tad bit of lavender in the sky; like the perfume you’re wearing,” he said. I could almost see the colors on my mind. I smiled.

“It looks beautiful,” I said. I think Mitchell was smiling too. I felt him lean over. What happened next took me a few seconds to register. Mitchell was kissing me. Before I could respond, Mitchell pulled away.

“Tanya, I’ve known you for two years. I-I really like you, a lot. It would make me very happy if you would be my girlfriend,” Mitchell said. I hesitated, and then smiled.

“Yes, of course.”

I did this story for my Five Senses Creative Writing assignment. This one is the sight one, and I'm quite proud of it.

on Nov. 18 2009 at 5:50 pm

Ahh, maybe it depends. And thanks! :]

on Nov. 14 2009 at 7:34 pm
BriarRose PLATINUM, Seneca, Illinois

I don't need a rose. I want a daisy you picked for my hair. I don't want some fancy box of chocolate. I want a pink frosting cookie you made just for me. Lets skip the upscale restaraunt and have a picnic in the park.

wow, this is awesome! i think you could make this little short story into a full-fledged novel. keep writing ;]

on Nov. 7 2009 at 9:45 pm

Ha, thanks a bunch you two! [:

on Nov. 7 2009 at 8:19 pm
Deverie♥ SILVER, Carthage, Illinois

I will seriously kick your butt....verbally.

When i read this in class i couldn't stop smiling. You have a true talent Angela, keep it up!

Kacie agrees!