Part one of Orb | Teen Ink

Part one of Orb

By CandieApple PLATINUM, Hartford, Wisconsin
CandieApple PLATINUM, Hartford, Wisconsin

The world is a stage, and we are merely players- Shakespeare (at least it goes something like that!!)

I walked along the sidewalk up to school and my two other friends practically skipped. They were always happy, unless, they broke up with all of the jocks at school. They were cheerleaders and had begged me to be one. I guess it just never was a dream of mine. “Strut, strut, and strut,” Stephanie said gleefully.

“Strut, strut and strut,” Carol repeated.

“God you two,” I groaned. “I’m tired of your “struts”.

“Aw, c’mon,” they both complained. “It’s really fun.” I sighed and kept walking. We’d been best friends ever since the seventh grade. I was a loner and they were the social butterflies, trying to get every guy in the football team. I study and they strut their stuff. They can be annoying, but they’re still good friends of mine.

“Aw man, I forgot to study for the biology test today,” Stephanie groaned.

“I forgot too,” Carol said. “But I’m going to try my best!”

“B-E-S-T!” they both screamed and did cartwheels on the floor. I slapped my forehead and kept on walking.

“You guys…,” I said. They gave me huge smiles and it made me forget how annoying they were. “Am I the only one who studies around here?” I asked. “You guys need to come over or something and have a study session with me.”

“But study sessions are boring and are for nerds,” Stephanie exclaimed thoughtfully.

“Agreed!” Carol yelled.

“Ugh,” I groaned. “You guys are never going to get into a university.”

“Give us a break,” Stephanie said.

“It’s hard,” Carol finished for her.

“I really feel like I’m the only one doing the work,” I complained.

“Cause’ you are,” Stephanie and Carol said. I walked into the school as Stephanie and Carol skipped ahead of me. I stood in front of my locker and grabbed my science books, looked at my watch (almost class time), and walked to Stephanie and Carol.

“Ok guys, two minutes until class,” I said. “You ready?”

“Yup,” they agreed and skipped along to class. I went into my own class and sat down. Girls were sitting on their desks flirting with all the “cute” boys. I set my books on my desk and took out a pencil and pen. I flipped open my notebook and started doodling on the side of one of the sheets. The bell rang and all the kids slid into their desks, right as the teacher walked into the room.

“Hello class,” Mrs. Burgundy said. “I hope all of you did your worksheets since I will be handing out a pop quiz.” Kids groaned (good thing I studied). “Tsk, tsk, kids.” She walked around handing out the papers as a boy stood in the doorway. Some kid announced his arrival and the teacher turned around and smiled. “Class this is Derek Anderson,” she exclaimed inviting Derek in. “He just transferred from Boston, Massachusetts. Please give him a warm welcome.”

All the girls gave him a dreamy look and the guys gave him the death look. I was amused by this. I seemed to be the only girl not looking at him dreamily so the teacher happened to tell him to sit by me. “Derek, why don’t you sit by Madison Lane?” The girls turned to me and gave me the death looks. I tried to make myself small and that obviously wasn’t working.

“Hello Madison,” he said politely, “Pleasure to meet you.” The other girls were still giving me a frightening glare.

“P-Pleasure to meet you too, Derek,” I stuttered out. He gave me a smile that made my heart stop beating for a couple seconds. As soon as I turned away from his gorgeous face I met the “not so gorgeous” faces glaring at me. I sank into my chair.

I picked romance since it as a lot of it in this part. Later on in the story you'll understand a little more why it might be a different...

on Oct. 30 2011 at 2:25 pm
Regs_the_Shorty GOLD, Frankfort, Illinois

There are people who finish what they start and.....

FANTASTIC!!!!

on Oct. 9 2011 at 4:07 pm
Rainbowmadhatter, Reno, Nevada

that was fantstic..i also know that feeling..

easy to relate to..that means its TERRIFIC!!

great job!!

fantasic!!

suburb!!

on Oct. 9 2009 at 6:06 pm

Part 2 is out so if you want to check it out you can!!! :) Part three i just sent out today so it should be coming sometime in the next couple weeks!

on Oct. 9 2009 at 3:37 pm

PART TWO IS FINALLY OUT!!!! Please go check it out!! I forgot that i can't reply again to ppl's, so i hope you find it!!

on Oct. 8 2009 at 4:29 pm

Of course. I'll reply on your comment and the rest's once it's out!!! i don't know why it's not coming out soon, but i hope it gets on quicker!

on Oct. 8 2009 at 4:27 pm
xxxVanessaxxx SILVER, Alexander, Arkansas

"i CaNt Be AwAy fRoM hEr BeLlA, iT hUrTs ToO mUcH." (Jacob from the breaking dawn book)

i can totally relate, that happened to me in my 7th grade year, it lasted up until the first week of this 8th grade year when we got into a fight and i crumbled down from DreamWorld. i haven't talked to him since and i have good reason to. but i luved ur story, keep feeding me more. : D

on Oct. 1 2009 at 4:59 pm

Thanks, I was hoping someone could relate!!! It's going to be out soon, i bet. I just got 2 new things submited on here today(you're welcome to check it out) but i'll alert u when the 2nd part comes!

on Sep. 30 2009 at 7:51 pm
Lost-In-Life GOLD, Whitby, Other

It's never to late, if it weren't for the last minute many things would never get done!

WOW! I love this. I can totally relate to the loner girl with the social butterfly friends. I can't wait for the second part so could you please comment on my work to tell me when it's out. Thanks! Once again amazing story keep writing!

on Sep. 30 2009 at 6:31 pm

Hahah. Yeah, I love that part too. :P

on Sep. 30 2009 at 6:29 pm
LoveLikeWoe DIAMOND, LeSueur, MN, Minnesota

Whoever laughs first has the sickest mind.

i like the whole "death glare" thing. lol. but this was really good. i'm glad there's a second part!!! :)

on Sep. 30 2009 at 3:41 pm

Thanks! Part 2 will be out sometime soon, I hope!

windblossom said...
on Sep. 30 2009 at 9:06 am
windblossom, Hyderabad, Other

"The caterpillar does all the hard work, but the butterfly gets all the publicity"

Fascinating! Eager to read the next part!! :)

on Sep. 29 2009 at 8:25 pm
NeverSayNever GOLD, Lumby, Other
I love it :)

on Sep. 27 2009 at 11:34 am

Of course! I've finished the whole book and Part 2 is on it's way!! It might be awhile, so I hope you're a patient person!!

on Sep. 26 2009 at 5:58 pm
biggerinfinities SILVER, Superior, Colorado

“We accept the love we think we deserve.”
― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Please tell me there is more to this story its amazing!

on Sep. 25 2009 at 4:30 pm

Thanks! And of course I'll check them out! Be expecting my comment soon!

on Sep. 25 2009 at 1:32 pm
JenniferCaraOctobe, Bradenton, Florida
O.M.G. SO AWESOME!!! my stories aren't as good, but can u check them out when they're on the site?