Red Roses | Teen Ink

Red Roses

By Shivank BRONZE, Las Altos, California
Shivank BRONZE, Las Altos, California

“ How has your day been,” the boy said.

“ it has been great so far,”  the girl said.

The boy nodded and started typing again. He thought about the red rose in his

bag and the butterflies re-entered his stomach. He looked at her and smiled. Her wavy black hair barely covered her shoulders. She smiled back and he turned back to his computer, blushing. His friends said she had the same feelings but the boy kept on refusing the thought as he thought it was too good to be true.  During the entire class period, he talked and talked with her and she laughed until she fell down. They kept on exchanging smiles and the boy would blush every time. The bell rang and the boy picked up his bag with the roses in it. 

“ Wait up,” the boy said

The girl turned around and the boy gathered up all his courage to say what he wanted to say since the first time he met her. The boy went on and on about how he loved being friends with her and how her smile made his day. Then he turned tomato red and finally said, “ will you go out with me” The girl swayed side to side and nervously avoided eye contact. After what seemed to be an eternity to the boy, she said,  “ I also like being friends with you. Which is why I think we should just stay friends”

She walked away and the boy stood there, with the roses peeking out of his bag.

In this set-piece, I wanted to use dialogue to show vulnerability. I was building a character’s personality using dialogue and description.