Magenta Melodies | Teen Ink

Magenta Melodies

By clairebecca PLATINUM, Baltimore, Maryland
clairebecca PLATINUM, Baltimore, Maryland

The nightclub’s dance floor was packed with drunk teens grinding on each other as magenta and lime green neon lights swam in the air. In the corner of the club by the bar, Luke sipped his Shirley Temple and sighed. Through the speakers, a techno song began playing, and his fingers simultaneously tapped on the motoring beat. Suddenly, between sips of his cherry red drink and flickers of lights, Luke felt someone touch his shoulder, like a spark igniting in his body. He quickly turned around and squinted his eyes to see a tall guy with hazel skin and jet black hair. Smiling, the guy whipped out his hand. “Wanna dance?”

Luke was stunned. “Me? Oh, I-I’m not into that, sorry.” He turned back towards the bar, wanting to hide in his frayed green flannel, when the guy placed his hand on his arm.

“C’mon, before the song ends,” he insisted, obviously not taking no for an answer. “I’m Noah.” His chocolate eyes twinkled.

The song thrummed with energy and color, pressuring Luke to dance. He scanned the club: guys and girls danced together, their faces flushed and their movements wonky. After stealing one last pleading look from Noah, he caved. “Sure.”

Luke was reeled onto the dance floor, brushing past the other couples. His heart beat fast like the rhythm of the song, and the shimmering lights nearly blinded him. “I don’t think I can –” he began, but it was too late. Noah pulled him into his grasp and shuffled his feet. Luke tried to do the same, but his legs felt stiff and rigid.

With a panicked look he glanced up at Noah, who recognized his fright. He interlocked his fingers with Luke’s and grinned. “You’ll be okay. Trust me.”

A glint of reassurance sparkled from his earthy eyes, causing Luke to loosen his body. He moved his feet like Noah’s and swayed from side to side, following the lilting of the music. The song’s melody surged inside of him, tingling his every nerve. He couldn’t believe he was doing this. A fusion of colors painted the air, and with a single smile, he said, “I’m Luke.”