Branches Far From Intertwined | Teen Ink

Branches Far From Intertwined

February 15, 2019
By joelyjacqueline BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas
joelyjacqueline BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

They swayed in the breeze together, dancing in the wind’s tempo as it moved along to other trees, evidently occupied by the world she impacted. Dancing was all they did, these leaves- all they could do for their stoic lives overcompensated everything else.

For days on end, they swung to and fro up above the grass infested fields flowing below, and with each passing day, two leaves increased in restlessness.

On a far left branch of the oak tree, about twenty three feet from the surface’s grasp, a particular leaf was hung, filled with lonessomness and sorrow. He danced solemnly whilst the swift air hugged at his body, attempting to cheer him up.

Another, dangling slightly farther from the ground and somewhat closer to the center of the tree’s core, as well, was equally captivated with angst. She was engrossed in pity for herself and their unjust distance.

Both swayed in perfect beat, entranced in their endless twirling; longing to touch- speak even, yet were trapped in their veiny skins.

A life of silence should have been enough to ridden euphoric emotion yet all other leaves danced lightly- giddy even- to the tune of the wind; you could see it in the way they swung, mesmerized.

Over time, their skins changed from a lively green to an almost somber orange as the air around the trees began to cool. With the sudden change in the breeze’s lively toon, the leaves began to contort- become crisp. The estranged couple watched helplessly,  just as they had for seemingly endless months before, all the while their cheery neighbors fell short of abundant passion for the fields of green which were now bleeding a textured brown.

All around, the world that had once been enlightened faded into a misery replicating the internal feelings of the two love-struck leaves. The skies above, once overzealously blue, shifted in color to a remorse gray as it thickened with fluff. Each bird, previously singing in angelic harmony with the warm melody of the wind, was now stiff and quiet; a silence so hushed that even the spines of leaves were overcome by a drizzling sensation that crawled along ever so slowly. And the trunk of the oak- the hollowing base from which they hung was ripening with the age of another year, losing necessary strength as it did so.

None could faultlessly diagnose the reason for occurring events directly after their home evolved into a tarnished sadness. Was it the lack of robustness exerting from the sturdy oak? Or the wind’s shift in liveliness as she reveled in spontaneous cold emotions? Perhaps, just maybe, it came about from the leaves themselves, losing interest in the now colorless Earth they called home.  

Devotion minimalized into non existence and with it, the bond between the massive oak and it’s leaves. They fell, one after another, tumbling to the surface now spotted in a carob coat.

Approaching a high speed she hadn't in weeks, the wind jabbed at them callously as they plunged to what  would have once seemed like an unjust demize.

Yet, the two leaves rejoiced as they descended at each other's steady pace. He felt a strange electrifying current in his veins, an emotion he could only pinpoint as eagerness, and although she was constantly aware of the ever more present wrinkles upon her skin, her mind was immediately fixated on him and only him.   

Unexpectedly, the ground was soft to the touch as he lay, watching her as she drifted closer and closer.  When they touched, a sure feeling embraced them both.

Although they were shriveled beyond age, the two found comfort in one another’s embrace whilst laying amongst fallen friends devoured in hopelessness.