What a Wonderful Night! | Teen Ink

What a Wonderful Night!

May 30, 2018
By annaisabanana BRONZE, Lyndhurst, Ohio
annaisabanana BRONZE, Lyndhurst, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Prom night. Easily one of the worst nights of my life. You might be wondering, what exactly happened that made you hate Prom so much? Oh Lord, don’t even get me started.
What is the most important thing to a girl on her prom night? Well, if you asked me, my answer would be the perfect dress. But, in my family, that is unheard of. See, we had about enough money to afford a thirty dollar dress...that was even a stretch. Where can you find a dress for thirty dollars or less you might ask? Well, pretty much nowhere because that shopping trip was nonexistent. You’re like, “Oh you got your dress online?” No, I wore my mother’s torn dress from the 80s.
Ten bloody fingers later, the dress finally came together to look even a little bit presentable. When I was finally able to put the dress on, of course it didn't fit because that is just my luck or...I just can’t do math to save my life. There isn’t really much else to say other than I just gave up in the end. So, I am just going to save you the time.
Next on the list of horrible things that happened to me, DRUM ROLL PLEASE...my date. He looked so good in his suit. Me standing next to him in this?! Not gonna happen. Well, it did, and it made my life a living nightmare. When he was standing there next to me, looking absolutely amazing by the way, it made me look even worse.
I dragged him all the way to the very back to the musty old gym room to the last table in the corner. That way I could avoid any interactions. I sent him off to get me some punch as I couldn’t bear to get it myself. That would almost force people to look at me. Right as he came back with the punch, some kid stuck out his crusty foot and tripped him, leaving the punch to splatter all over my oversized dress. As if the night could get any worse! I got so upset I ran outside to the park that sat behind our outdated high school and he followed.
We walked together and he repeatedly told me how pretty I looked...I knew that was a lie. My tears drying up from my face, I started to feel better. Not knowing that I was walking strangely fast, he stepped on my dress, causing it to rip right from the seams leaving me almost uncovered. I gave up on being sad, and we both fell to the ground and laughed until our stomachs hurt.
“God, I love you,”
His eyes got wide and he froze in place. “I actually wanted to talk to you about that...I think we are in a bad place right now. I don’t think we should be together anymore.”
“What do you mean? We always have so much fun together!” I said with hope.
“I mean, you think we are always having a good time, have you ever thought about me? Every single date we go on it is something you want to do. You never even consider the things that I want to do.”
“On this night? Why on this night? You know I look horrible, I hate parties and stuff like this! Why did you choose this night to tell me?”
“I thought it would be easier for me. To see you at your lowest point.”
“I cannot believe you! I don’t need someone like you trying to ruin my life.”
I stormed off and almost as I reached the end of the school’s property, he screamed my name. My body filled with hope as I think he is about to apologize.
“By the way,” he shouts, “it was a dare to ask you out in the first place.”