Confessions of A Digital Addict | Teen Ink

Confessions of A Digital Addict

By zoe22 GOLD, Vienna, Virginia
zoe22 GOLD, Vienna, Virginia

"A drop in the ocean, a change in the weather," Ron Pope

Dear Mum and Dad:
I understand you are disappointed with me and you have every right to be. I think, you only know a part of what is going on, in this teen’s life,

Since the beginning of my junior year, I have been searching for a boyfriend. I was not expecting that I would be dating a boy from my high school. So, I downloaded ‘Teenber’ on my phone. It is a way to chat and meet new friends and somehow find a boyfriend (digitally). This is the explanation why I have been on the phone, so please, do not put the blame on Tina. Around mid-September, I did meet (digitally) someone and thought that it was a ‘relationship’ when it actually was not. We were ‘dating’, sending each other, lovey-dovey messages.
This I realized, was a major distraction from my academics and school-work and why I lost my goals as I became a friend to someone who did not care about school, at all. It has also been the reason I was crying today as we would have to break-up. But I wanted to spend my time with a Teenber boyfriend since my best friend, Leon, is out of the picture and I miss him, (Not trying to get back at him).  Thus I will delete the app. tomorrow but if you see it before I do, please delete it on my behalf.
Please, do not assume that I was influenced by anyone. Watching ‘Violettta’ as a matter of fact, made me reconsider my chance of having a boyfriend.
Today, I will text my Teenber boyfriend (BF) goodbye and then delete my account. Also, I will take charge on my life once again. I am realizing the consequences of high school boyfriends and do not opt to have anyone, anymore.
Harvard has stopped being a priority-choice and instead considering NYU, UMB or JMU. You are right about how I would function in  college dorm so JMU or UMV would be better choices for me to study. 

Since both of you stated that you wanted a daughter like Ramona, Amber, Nancy and Jade, I will try to be more like them and hope to be successful.
We will talke once I return from school, today.  But again, I must apologize for initiating a relationship without thinking if I really needed it. I will begin to give more hours on my SAT and ACT practices.

Take care, Mum and Dad.

From your loving daugther.

NB: Don’t think you will find my ‘boyfriend.’ I deleted all our conservations and blocked him.

Unfortunately, many teeenagers in the US still fall prey to meeting strangers on the internet and supposedly, mistaking them for 'boyfriends.' The best lesson is to meet a person face-to-face in a public space and know who you want as your friend.