Katelyn | Teen Ink

Katelyn

By grace791 GOLD, Portland, Oregon
grace791 GOLD, Portland, Oregon

"When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment and I told them them they didn't understand life." - John Lennon

It was fall and around the carnival grounds, leaves of red, brown, and gold littered the earth in a collage of drab colors. The sky was almost black, dotted with a multitude of twinkling stars, as the moon shone steadily from her perch in the dark night. Somewhere in the distance, a dog bayed with a mournful tone, longing with an aged passion to escape.
Katelyn stood on the edge of the rusted rails. Her eyes briefly closed, then shot open once more, a vivid green that contrasted with her pale, ghostly complexion, the color heightened by a nearby streetlight. Auburn hair hung in braids by her shoulders, tied neatly with identical red bands and they swung gently as her feet scuffed the edge of the metal railing, kicking at a particularly deformed screw. In the distance, one one light appeared. At first, it was only a small dot against the darkening sky, but it grew and slowly, Katelyn could make out the distinct outline of a train. Carefully, she stepped over the side of the tracks and onto the jagged rocks. The train was hurtling forward. There was no escape, but all Katelyn had done was deliberate. She wanted no way out. The train came closer still and she could feel it against her skin for a second, and something must have happened but she felt nothing. It was over in a moment, and around her body, a pool of blood began to form, the same color as the elastic that had tied the curls she was once so proud of.
It was fall and around the carnival grounds, leaves of red, brown, and gold littered the earth in a collage of drab colors. The sky was almost black, dotted with a multitude of twinkling stars, as the moon shone steadily from her perch in the dark night. Somewhere in the distance, a dog bayed with a mournful tone, longing with an aged passion to escape and next to the train tracks, the broken body of a girl who wanted nothing but to escape lay still, and the night went on.