My Bill | Teen Ink

My Bill

By GAEM. GOLD, Manton, California
GAEM. GOLD, Manton, California

What you egg! Young fry of treachery!
[he stabs him]
--William Shakespeare

Bill lived in a house on top of a hill all alone except an old farm dog that never left the porch and slept most of the day. Bill was a kindly old person, even though he had no family; he was a divorced man, his only son died in a car crash of a young age and therefor never had any children.

My school was on the other side of the hill that Bill lived on, so naturally i had to walk up and down the hill every day, unless i wanted to be ten minutes late. Every day i walked past the old abandoned house, until i saw an man sitting on the porch of the house i had thought abandoned. i walked past Bill every day, in silence.

It was a hot summer day and i was walking back from school when Bill called to me from his porch. "Hello, Kiddo." I was taken aback; i had never heard Bill speak. Yes, i had thought that it was a little strange that he never did speak when i passed his house twice a day. "Hello." I answered. I tried to walk away but, Bill called to me. "Kiddo? Want a soda pop? It is quite hot today, isn't it?" I was speechless; he was being so nice even though i had ignored him  all the three years i had lived here. "S-sure..." I walked over to Bills porch and accepted the soda pop he had offered me. "Oh, let em see..." Bill said. "Margie or Margret?" i almost choked on my soda. "Margret. How did you know?" Bill smiled. "Oh, with age brings wisdom, and tell that friend of yours to stop shouting your name so loud." A twinkle appeared in Bills eyes.

The next few weeks I stopped at Bills house every day after school. One day, i walked by Bill's house and Bill was not on the porch! I ran up and rapped on Bills  door. "Bill?" No one answered. "Hey Bill!" I opened the door and stepped inside. As soon as I passed through the threshold I saw a white piece of paper on the dining room table. The writing inside made me cry:

"Dear Margret,

Thank you for being company to me for the last month. I have gone. I will miss you, and since i have no living relatives i give all my possessions to you. Yes, including Ditty, my dog. She may sleep when you are around her, but i give her to you in hope that she will remind you of me.

Good bye Margret,

Bill"

i  still remember Bill, after all these years. Ditty passed away a few years ago. But, i still have memories to remind me of Bill and those hot summer days... And i am glad that Bill has finally rested and i know i will always have an angel looking over me, an angel with the name of Bill.