I'll Fly Away | Teen Ink

I'll Fly Away

September 3, 2015
By AlexKShorts PLATINUM, Vienna, Virginia
AlexKShorts PLATINUM, Vienna, Virginia
20 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Sitting tied to a mutated dentist chair was the way I saw my life headed, ever after the sky turned red and the sea caught fire.
        
         I sat with my legs and arms strapped down and my head restrained against an uncomfortably padded headrest.  In a way my whole life had been like this, living doing what I wanted but what nobody else approved of.  ‘Do you know the difference between right and wrong?’  Of course I know the damn difference, or your definition of it anyway.  The way I saw it, I wasn’t any different from a soldier drafted into war.  I didn’t want to be here, ruining other people’s families; it was just the way I was.  I didn’t ask to be born as some freak of nature, some destroyer of a “precious society,” some idiot who couldn’t tell if he was doing the right thing or not.  I was born and now I am, I wish people could live with that.

         But of course they can’t.  I understand where they’re coming from, I do, the people that they lost are never coming back, and that’s a horrible thing, it is.  All that I ask is that they realize that I wasn’t born right, I’m different, I shouldn’t die for the way that I am. 

And yet here I sit, chained down after spending the last three years of my life on death row, waiting to be legally killed.  I mean of course what I did was bad, I know I wouldn’t want anyone doing it to me, but the thing is that no one else would do it, and therefore no one wants to keep me alive, everyone just wants me dead.  I guess the solution to death is death.

‘Any last words?’  I looked at him in the eyes, and then looked at the one sided mirror.  I wondered if my parents were sitting on the other side…  Would they take this opportunity to see me one last time or would they avoid seeing their only son die?  They never did like their ‘retard child’ (their words).

I looked the man back in the eyes and said ‘Sorry,’ and then nodded.  I closed my eyes and tried to settle my body as I heard some murmurs and people shuffling around.  A cold piece of metal pushed into my body just below my bicep and liquid was dumped into my veins.  I found it very easy to settle soon after.

---

         What I did was wrong, and if I had a second chance to restrain myself from the things that I did I definitely would.  Staring at my body I realized that all I wanted was a normal life, a thing my mind did not permit for me to have.  I realized that I wanted to write a book and dedicate it to my children, my normal children who I would love and take care of.  I realized that I wanted everyone to be happy, and to like and love me.  I hope now that I’m gone, that everyone is happy, and that everyone’s lives are okay, and that all the world’s problems are gone.  But they’re not, nothing changed, someone died.  I hope you’re all happy that I’ve gone off and flown away.


The author's comments:

I don't support the crimes that the people who recieve the death penalty commit, however I think that killing them doesn't solve much of anything...