Good People | Teen Ink

Good People

By knib12 SILVER, Milton, Massachusetts
knib12 SILVER, Milton, Massachusetts

None of us are good people. I don't understand how we aren't in jail yet. As long as I can remember, my siblings and I were like this. My earliest memory is of Dom stealing a toy from a store. I remember being there and not saying a word. I didn't stop him, or even think to try. When I was six, I saw my parents scolding Chelsea for cheating. She was in third grade, and got suspended for two days. She told me that next time, she wouldn't get caught. I gave her a high five. Summer was the least normal. She killed the neighbor's dog with a fork when she was four. In kindergarten, Summer pushed a little boy into the street right in front of a car. He nearly died. She just smiled sweetly and said she didn't mean to.

I lie, all the time. I suppose you would call it pathological. It's just easier that way. You slip into a second skin that no one can penetrate. Safe from everything. I can't help it, it just happens. That's not an excuse, but I can't stop wondering if something's wrong with me. I am pretty screwed up though. I was diagnosed as bipolar when I was a sophomore in college. No one knows about it. I have manic episodes frequently, usually at least once a day. During these episodes, I display OCD tendencies, hear voices, and see visions. There's medication, but it gives me terrible migraines. So I lie. I tell the doctors that I take my pills, and I don't tell anyone else anything. Everyone's happy. Lying creates this perfect world in which I exist, where nothing can touch me, and I can hurt no one. My name is Jude Sinclair, and I am not a good person. I want to be, but I don't know how.

I'm not done with this yet, but I need some advice, so I thought I'd post it and see what happens.

Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri

"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

WOW! I absolutely ADORE this! It expresses the way everyone feels once in a while. I love the way you gave us some explanantions of the things the character's siblings did, and the other things like how you don't understand how none of us are jailed. Great piece, I expect to see more work from you. ;)

knib12 SILVER said...
knib12 SILVER, Milton, Massachusetts
Thanks! I'm going to be doing a chapter for each of the four siblings, but I'm not sure how I'm going to bring it all together yet. My next chapter on Dom is pending, hope you guys will keep reading!! Thank you!

EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia

To love is to be vulnerable; Triumph is born out of struggle; We notice shadows most when they stand alone in the midst of overwhelming light.

This is really good. Like amazing. i'm not sure, where you want this to head, but I cheer you on, my friend! You went to simple from to the unknown, and I love that. Most people ignore the unknown, and this is one of the things they ignore. People shouldn't ignore this. We can make the impossible possible. We can be good people. Keep on, my friend! You are a talented writer! Thank you for sharing this!

Canadotas PLATINUM, Harrisonburg, Virginia

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” --Albert Einstein

I'm glad you aren't done with this because I think it could go in all kinds of directions and you'd be a fool not to take it in any of them. First off, you have an excellent voice. It feels like a very  casual narration, which is good in itself but is REALLY good when the words themselves are so ominous. I like how you went from simple stuff like breaking toys to hard stuff like killing boys. I don't know where you want to go with this, but whatever you do, it'll definitely be good.