Ms. Monica | Teen Ink

Ms. Monica

May 9, 2014
By _tanyagrace BRONZE, Matthews, North Carolina
_tanyagrace BRONZE, Matthews, North Carolina
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Keep your head up princess, your tiara is falling"


For I was only a 7 year old boy when I knew Ms. Monica. However I have many memories of her. I remember a lot about her. Here is my recall of it.


Mommy and Daddy always had to stay at work, so they hired Ms. Monica to be my Nanny. Every morning she would be there when I would wake up and when I crashed to sleep. She was not married, quite too young. She was beautiful to me. She had brown hair, tan skin, and was thin and flawless. Every day she would come over and bring cookies, coloring books, and games. Our favorite was Candy Land. We had the best of times, her and I.


One afternoon we were playing our favorite game and Ms. Monica started coughing. It was right around the time Mom would be home. She ran into the bathroom and coughed for a good while. It sounded like she was starting to throw up. I started screaming and crying cause I didn't know what to do. Thank goodness for mom, she came in and opened the door to find Ms. Monica. She screamed and told me to grab the phone. Soon after the ambulance people came and rushed her out. I had to go to the neighbors house. It all happened so quickly I don't remember any of it happening. Several days passed and she didn't come home. I had a new baby sitter.


4 days later my Momma came and woke me up. “We are going to go see Ms. Monica.” she explained. She fed me some breakfast and off to the hospital we went. Ms.Monica was in room 907. As I walked into the room i saw her, she was sleeping. Momma came and poked her to wake her up. When she saw my face, hers lit up. I ran into her soft cozy arms and told her how much I loved and missed her. We stayed a little while.


The nurse came and messed with Ms. Monica’s buttons. All the beeps changed. The nurse told me there was a cabinet full of toys and games. I walked over there, and there was Candy land sitting there waiting for me. I pulled it out and sat on the edge of her bed. We played 4 or 5 rounds. She seemed so happy, I couldn't even tell that she was sick. Momma came and told me it was time to go. I kissed Ms. Monica goodbye and we left.


I did not get to see her for a while. Momma said she was worse. That made me feel very sad. A couple weeks later I got to see her again, but this time it was different. Her hair was all gone, there was purple bruises all over her. She still smiled when she saw me. I grabbed Candy land and asked her if she wanted to play. We had been playing every time i visited. Today she said she didn't want to play. I was shocked, she usually always wanted to play. She started coughing followed by throwing up. I had to leave after that.


I missed her so much. She could never babysit anymore. I would cry at night. Everyday I would wait for her and she wouldn't come. I couldn't see her anymore. She was too sick. When would I ever get to see her again?


One morning I woke up. My parents woke me up, they were crying. Momma dressed me in my Sunday best and drove me to some church I had never been to. There I saw her, in a casket, resting in peace. When I saw her, I cried then told my daddy to take me home. When I got home I grabbed Candy land, and we drove back. I brought it to my daddy and told him to give it to Ms. Monica, so she could play Candy land in heaven. After that we left. That was the last time I would ever see her again.


Now I am 14 years old writing this down. Ms. Monica died of cancer. I didn't even get to say goodbye.


The author's comments:
Treasure those you love, cause you never know when they can be taken from you.