Backstory | Teen Ink

Backstory

December 10, 2013
By nolanje80 PLATINUM, Kalispell, Montana
nolanje80 PLATINUM, Kalispell, Montana
30 articles 19 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
“When you're dreaming with a broken heart
The waking up is the hardest part
You roll outta bed and down on your knees
And for a moment you can hardly breathe”
― John Mayer


When Sebastian and I met, my whole life changed. Before, I was a lost little girl in a world full of strangers who had no interest in helping me. But now...now I have people around me all the time, and there’s dancing, and music, and parties every night. Now, to fully understand my story, you must have a bit of a background on my life. Please be open minded, and take into consideration all of the things that I have been through.
It all began when my mom, Angel, and my dad, Antonio, met. Don’t ask me how it happened, because I have no idea, I just know that they did. Anyways, they met, got pregnant, and got married, like 90% of the United States population. Eventually, things came crashing down around them, and the angel left the devil. I ended up getting moved around alot as my mother went from boyfriend to boyfriend, scooting around the state of Washington for about 3 years. I didn’t hear from my real father for about 4 1/2 years. Finally, one fateful day, Angel and I got into a car wreck. The car was a teeny tiny Tempo, which was new for its time, and let me tell you, that thing was totaled. The entire front of that car was smooshed right up into the front seats. Luckily, we both walked away with only a few scratches to share with daycare mommies and daughters.
Social butterfly that I was, I decided that it would be a good idea to tell the stranger who was fixing mommies car my entire whole life story. Now, remember, at the time, i was only 4 years old, and i didn’t know any better. But Angel still was not happy with me..until the nice car mechanic asked her out to go see a movie. She wasn’t really into Tory seeing as he had a relatively unsteady job, and was recently out of the Military, but she said yes anyways, because she took notice of how kind he was being to me.
So, a few dates later (and by a few, i mean 2 and a half years’ worth), he popped the question. Obviously, mommy was madly in love with the guy, and i was happy that mommy was happy. I was the flower girl at their wedding, naturally, and things were great for about another 3 years. That’s when Angel decided that she wanted her ex husband, my father, to be back in my life...at least somewhat. She found him, and discovered that I now had 3 other siblings. Shell-shocked and amazed, I called him and talked to him and my older sister. Occasionally, we took family visits and drove from Washington, to Montana, so I could see my other family.
Around this time, Tory began to show signs of having anger issues. His metaphorical ‘fuze’ got shorter and shorter until simple things set him off. Eventually, he began looking for an outlet for his anger. Tory was in the Military. Meaning that he had extensive training in physical combat, and how to break someone emotionally. Now here’s where irony plays a key part in my life. Remember how Angel fell in love with him because of his way with kids? How kind he was? What a load. He was beating me. Every time I forgot to do the laundry, or clean my room, I was slapped in the face, held up against walls by my throat, and forced to do over 150 pushups consecutively. I also forgot to mention, that during the course of their 7 year marriage, my mother was stuck dealing with fibromyalgia, a disease that causes chronic fatigue and full-body pain all day, everyday. She had no idea that the abuse was even happening, and even if she did, she would have been powerless against him.


The author's comments:
This is the first part of a book that I am writing. This is in fact my actual back story, but I have changed the names to protect identities.