Diving Into The Crashing Waves | Teen Ink

Diving Into The Crashing Waves

By TayyBarlow PLATINUM, Madera, California
TayyBarlow PLATINUM, Madera, California

"There is no exquisite beauty without some strangeness in the proportion."- Edgar Allan Poe

Diving into the crashing waves, I let the water steal away my tears. Salt water to salt water. Kicking my legs, I propelled my body away from the shore; away from my pain. My hair came out of my hair band in soaked stringy locks. Foam clung to my cheeks with every new wave being born from the sea. The burning in my limbs became too impending to bear and the sun beat mercilessly on my scarred shoulders.

I rested, bobbing gently in the azure liquid sky. My fears and pains caught up to me once again, bombarding my heart. Turning my eyes up, I stared at the cloudless and bright sky. Everything was silent; not even a sea gull whooped or whirled above. I let the ocean water cover my body as I held my breath and sank below the surface. Its touch was cool, like a caress. The current swayed me softly, as if trying to comfort me. The sound of crashing waves became distant as my body descended into the deep.

The salt water left a bitter taste in my mouth when I parted my lips, like a long-forgotten kiss. Closing my eyes slowly, the current dulled my aching muscles and took away the pain in my deprived lungs. The cold numbed my fingertips and seaweed brushed smoothly against my back as I neared the bottom. The water whispered words of encouragement, told me to just let go. My locket bobbed above my weakening form and bubbles drifted lazily around me.

Opening my mouth slowly, I allowed the ocean to creep down my throat and fill my lungs. I did not struggle, I did not fight the world anymore. I joined the countless others whom the world had released. My body drifted to the dark ocean floor. The sand parted and shifted to create my watery grave. Yet, from above, the sea remained as peaceful as it had been before.

Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, will go through rough times in their lives. Instead of choosing the route that the story describes, lift your heart to God. He will overcome the world.