Taking Responsibility | Teen Ink

Taking Responsibility

By Erudite GOLD, Rawalpindi, Other
Erudite GOLD, Rawalpindi, Other

trust your heart
if the seas catch fire
(and live by love
though the stars walk backward)

At the end of the corridor, the closed door was waiting. It was the door that would change everything. Suddenly a cold tickle of fear ran down my neck as I assessed the horrific possibilities that this would entail. Maybe this was a mistake. I took a few steps back. ‘But our life would be better’, whispered a little voice in my head, ‘much better.’
With that thought I made up my mind, I have to do this for Henry. I took a deep breath and shakily gripped the cold, steel knob of the door...
“No turning back now.” I muttered as I slowly turned the knob and opened the door where my fate awaited.
As I quickly slipped into the room, Henry silently followed me; shadowing my every move. At fourteen he was exceptionally tall, already towering over me… always protecting me. But now I am going to protect him as an older sister should.
My eyes quickly darted to the middle aged man sitting behind a large, intimidating desk at the back of the room. He raised his bushy eyebrows at the sight of two battered children in torn clothing.
By studying his face, I could tell that he was a kind man; a man who would never raise his hand on children¬¬¬¬ unlike them. Smile lines edged his eyes which were worn and weary ad his lips looked as if they were constantly twitching for a smile. Overall, he seemed perfect for the task ahead.
“May I help you?” he asked with uncertainty.
“Uh… um…” I stuttered.
The lawyer raised his eyebrows even more. Henry came up behind me and laid a comforting hand on my shoulder. I took a deep breath and prepared to speak again.
“I need a lawyer, we need a lawyer.” I said as my heart raced with fear and a tinge of excitement and hope.
“Well you’ve come to the right place.” he joked. After a slight pause he spoke again more seriously. “So your parents know you’re here?”
“My parents are dead.” I said flatly as I watched his eyes flash with sympathy. “But no, my adopted parents don’t. However, that is why we are here today.”
A few moments of silence passed before he motioned for me to continue. I glanced at my brother and saw the split lip they gave him and I became determined to never let anything happen like that to him again.
“I want to fight my adopted parents for custody of my brother, Henry.” I said as I gripped my brother’s hand desperately.
The lawyer’s eyebrows have now reached his hairline
“How old are you, miss?” he asked.
“Eighteen; today is my birthday.” I said shakily.
“What a happy, happy birthday.” muttered Henry.
“Well, why? Why do you want such a responsibility?” the lawyer asked, perplexed.
“Because of abuse, the abuse they put us through.”