To Kill a Mockingbird | Teen Ink

To Kill a Mockingbird

By AcidRoses SILVER, Elmont, New York
AcidRoses SILVER, Elmont, New York

"Many that live deserve death and some that have died deserve life, can you give that to them? Do not be to hasty to deal out death and judgement, even the very wise cannot see all ends."

"Can't get no more free randy!"

“Shoot all the blue jays you want, if you can hit ‘em, but remember it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.” –Harper Lee

When I was a child, I let my imagination roam free. Free from the unknown weight I have seen my parents and family carry. Little wings of innocence, holding me in flight, looking down upon everything else.
In my flight, I understood not of the problems below me, but I was told to stay high. Fly away from them. I was told that my wings would only work so long, and that I should fly to the highest points of my imagination and beyond. Oh boy, did I fly. I flew to the bat cave, to the moon, to a black hole on the cusp of being sucked in and being gone forever, only to use my wings to fly back home. When I was in flight, it seemed, nothing could touch me. Inaudible bullets came zinging my way each time I took flight, yet I rose above it.
As I grew older, those bullets came closer to my wings and I could only fly so far. The bat cave soon became merely fiction, the product of another mockingbird. The moon now had a science behind it, I could no longer travel there without the proper gear, and that proved too tedious. And the black hole that I was being sucked into, I was unable to fly from. I was sucked in, hopeless and without flight, bullets of life piercing my wings and sending them down to the earth along with me.
Although I didn’t see my wings when I got back to earth, I see others flying high in the sky. I see them going to the bat cave, and hanging out on the moon, and even managing to escape that black hole. And even though through time the little mockingbird within me has perished, I hold unto myself this one truth:

I shall never kill a mockingbird; that is a sin.

This was inspired by the book To Kill a Mockingbird and the themes in it. If you haven't read it already I suggest you do so, it is a great read. Also, for a lot of schools it's mandated reading anyway so you might as well get ahead.

on Sep. 27 2015 at 8:52 am
Helianthusgirl BRONZE, Salt Lake City, Utah
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
You know this book is really good!

Hannabug GOLD said...
on Aug. 11 2012 at 8:11 pm
Hannabug GOLD, Winona, Minnesota

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the Divine." Ludwig van Beethoven

This is really good!! I love "To Kill A Mockingbird"  

on Aug. 10 2012 at 5:24 pm
AcidRoses SILVER, Elmont, New York

"Can't get no more free randy!"

Thanks, I really appreciate it. It was actually meant to be a poem idk why it ended up here, I appreciate the feedback.

sav17 BRONZE said...
on Aug. 10 2012 at 4:38 pm
sav17 BRONZE, Amarillo, Texas

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
― Mae West

This is really great.