The River | Teen Ink

The River

By mynameisobel PLATINUM, Collingswood, New Jersey
mynameisobel PLATINUM, Collingswood, New Jersey

You can not be brave if only good things have happened to you.

On the bank of the river stood to teen age children dressed in their Sunday best. The girl was struggling to keep her balance in her ivory stilettos while the boy was skipping rocks. The girl finally found her balance and sat on a big slate of rock, pondering of the punishment she would face if her parents found she had left bible camp with Ricky.
“Won’t they look for us?” the girl asked Ricky. Her nervousness was spun on her face. She sat and played with the hem of her dress pulling out the thread. Ricky gave a chuckle and selected another pebble to skip. He knew his and Cady’s parents were enjoying lattes with all the other kids from the camps parents. He also had came to the realization that his and Cady’s parents were to strung up with their social life to even wonder were their offspring were.
“No,” he said plainly skipping the rock,3 skips his new record. He glanced at her, she was looking down at her now scuffed up shoes. He felt bad like maybe this was his fault they were even near the river.
“Ricky,” the girl called to Ricky. Ricky looked over to the girl, the girl he strangely loved. For a 16 year old you did not want to fall in love with the girl that your parents swore you would marry. But Cady was something he could not describe; she was the girl that saw him jumping around in a batman costume, the girl that he took summer vacation with, the girl that his mother sent him to with hot soup when she was sick. Cady was an aspect of his life that he could never forget like eating and breathing.
“What Cady,” he sighed turning to her. She was trying to sit her best on a slap of rock in her short lacey dress. Her golden hair was spun up on her head. She was a goddess.
“Could I try,” She asked shyly. Cady was always shy when talking to Ricky. She didn’t know why but every time she spoke to him her voice was swallowed. She could never get the simplest of words to work with her when she was around Ricky.
“Yea,” he told her. She leaned down and took off her heavy heels and placed them near the rock. Slowly she made her way towards Ricky. “But you have to find your own rock,” he grinned. She shook her head and chuckled. She made her way farther into the river.
“Be careful Cady,” Ricky warned her as he turned back to his search for a pebble. Cady waded even farther into the water. She kept looking down for a rock but none of them were good enough. She was almost knee length into the water. The sound of rushing water filled her ears, blocking out Ricky’s warning to her.
“Cady come back” he yelled. She went even farther into the water. She was almost thigh high when she caught a glimpse of a shiny perfect shaped rock. Trying to keep her head out of the water she stretched her neck out she grabbed it, and came up fairly fast.
“Ricky!” she screamed overjoyed, “I found it!” Ricky gave a weak smile scarred something bad was going to happen to his love. She started making her way over to Ricky, but her foot got tangled in a root. fear cascaded threw her body.
“Ricky!” she screamed as she was being yanked down. It seemed as though with every movement she made to get away from the root it yanked her down farther. She was struggling to keep her head above water.

“RICKY!” she yelled again trying to be heard over the rushing currents. Ricky had heard her call finally. When he saw her sinking into the water he froze. She was sinking faster only her nose above water, her arms flailing.
“Will they look for me” she wondered.
He tried to run out to her but the river was to strong and his footsteps were sinking into the dirt but his mind was set on saving his love. He journey farther till he found her. He grabbed her arm but couldn’t pull her up. He silently cursed at him self. He reached his hands down to grab her leg. He struggled to unwrap the root, but soon enough he was able to get her out. He heaved her over his shoulder. He moved as fast he could to get out of the river. The water was strong against his shin. He trudged out of the water and placed her ever so softly on the sand. At this point tears were streaming down his face.
“Come on Cady” he murmured, shaking her shoulders a bit. There was no response. He pushed his hands on her chest trying to get her to breathe. There was no response. Tears were flowing down his face faster now and his breathing was uneasy. He closed of her nose and gave her mouth to mouth. The last thing he knew how to do. There was no response. He grabbed her wrist searching for a heart beat, something to tell him she was alive but the beating he was searching for was nonexistent.
“Oh god Cady, I lost you,” he whispered pulling her up. Her body was cold and wet. He wrapped his arms around her. “I love you Cady” he told her and it seemed that she had smiled.

on Aug. 24 2013 at 6:16 am
DawnieRae BRONZE, Lancaster, Ohio
I liked it. It was sad, yuo are really good at writing sad stories!

on Jul. 26 2012 at 10:40 am

thank you:)

on Jul. 26 2012 at 10:39 am

thanks:)

on Jul. 19 2012 at 2:58 am
ThisLife BRONZE, Madison, Alabama

You will always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
- I don't have a clue who said this

Loved it :)

on Jul. 16 2012 at 9:24 am
aislingob BRONZE, St. Louis, Missouri

"Love as long as you live, and laugh as much as you breathe."

First of all, the story is fantastic :) I loved the contrasting shyness and love of the two characters, but I think you could expand Cady a bit more in order to bring out more emotion at the end with Ricky trying to bring her back to him. It definitely tugged at my feelings a bit, knowing of Ricky's love for Cady and everything happening so fast but I would love to know of a few more aspects or interactions in their relationships, maybe having comments made by Cady trigger memories or emotions in Ricky so we could have more insight into their relationship. I really enjoyed reading this! xo