A Mother's Love | Teen Ink

A Mother's Love

By Staystrong13 PLATINUM, Royse City, Texas
Staystrong13 PLATINUM, Royse City, Texas

"What we call the beginning is often the end. And to make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." -T.S. Eliot

A mother rocks her baby in the fall air. She sings a soothing song while the baby falls to sleep in her arms. She looks into her face, thinking of her future. Will she be a doctor, a lawyer, a veterinarian? God knows, she thinks, as long as you are healthy. She knows they will not always see eye-to-eye but she will always be on her side, even if she is wrong, this little girl will forever be her baby, no matter how old she becomes. She will welcome her baby with a smile and open arms whenever the girl decides to leave, always awaiting her return but secretly knowing she will have to let her go someday.

The young mother senses a change in the air; it is deep in the wind and in every leaf in the autumn trees. She will soon be laying her beautiful daughter down for the night, the girl has so much of her father in her the young woman only wishes he was home to see it. The baby grows into a kid, energetic and fun loving, but she too senses a change is coming. It is not long before she is in the hospital with an unknown deadly illness that will surely steal the very air in her lungs. The beautiful blue eyed girl of 5 slowly degenerates in her new home of the hospital. Still she tells her mother she loves her, she still smiles and welcomes the light of every day.

One night as her mother, tucks her in, the doctor had told the woman her baby girl would be lucky to make it through one more night. The little girl yawns and whispers, “I am really tired,” the girl with sapphire eyes gasps, “Look Mommy it is Jesus!” All the mother can do is smile and nod, choking back the tears she so badly wants to cry. “Don’t cry Mommy, Jesus said I will be okay. He said that I need to go to sleep for a while but when I wake up I will be better and we will be together again.” The girl whispers, one last time, “I love you Mommy, I will see you in the morning,” before her eyes flutter closed. Her breathing slows as does her heart and soon it too falters. The once young and graceful, now far more aged than her years mother lays her baby to rest, one final time, all the while thinking that she cannot wait for morning to come.