Swimming Lessons | Teen Ink

Swimming Lessons

By kaitlynphillips GOLD, Woodville, Ohio
kaitlynphillips GOLD, Woodville, Ohio

Never say goodbye, because saying goodbye means forgetting, and forgetting means never returning- Peter Pan

I stepped into the cold blue water, my toes squishing into the fine grain sand. I smelled the salty scent of the ocean in the air. I was terrified of drowning. Too horrified to go any farther. I took one slow step forward into the mucky sand. The water was already up to my sisters scraggly blond hair. I felt like a coward. It was the day I was supposed to learn how to swim and boy was I afraid. My stomach lurched and I suddenly felt like I was going to lose my lunch.
"Come on Cassie! Get out here! You have to learn how to swim sometime. Besides your just like a cat trying to get out of a bath" Katy shouted from the water.
"But Katy you know I can't swim. It just won't happen for me." I called back.
"That's why I'm going to teach you! Now get out here Cassie!" She yelled. I pushed myself to go as far out as I could touch. Katy swam close to me. Her bikini was white and splattered with color. I wore an old style black one piece with red polka dots. Katy put her arm around me and started talking.
"First things, first. You have to be able to float on your back and stomach. So, lean back and try to float," She advised. I leaned back in an attempt to float. I failed miserably with my head going under water. I tried multiple times, but just couldn't seem to get the hang of it.
"Your letting your feet off the ground too early," Katy said.
"I'm trying! Be glad I'm doing that!" I said in frustration. "I can't do everything perfect like you!".
"Gosh, calm down. don't get your knickers in a knot." Katy squawked.
I gave it another shot. The next thing I knew, I was floating on the ocean blue.
"See you got it!" exclaimed Katy.
"I know. It wasn't easy either." I grumbled.
"Oh come on Cassie it's not that hard." She said sounding a tad bit more than bored. "Next you need to learn how to move your arms right. Have you ever seen Mr.Morrison's dog in the pond back home?" she asked.
"Yes,Katy. That dog's out there near every to morning." I guessed.
"You know how he moves his paws right? You ever seen that?"
"Yes Katy I have." I rendered.
"Well move your arms like that. Like your nearing the bottom of an ice cream bucket and just can't get enough."
"Katy that's just ridiculous," I replied.
"Oh just do it Cassie. Don't act like such a stubborn goat."
I started moving my arms as she told me to. The water was still cold and I swear something touched my leg. No joke I thought it was a shark. It felt slimy and scaly, but then I looked down and realized I'm extremely dumb because it was a piece of seaweed. I forgot about the seaweed and started moving my arms like she told me to again.
"Good job! That's the trick! Now kick your legs, but keep them straight like your a ballerina and your doing that twirly thingy," She explained.
"Whatever you say. Though I'm not sure I can trust your word. I don't usually believe loons," claimed. I began kicking my legs and moving my arms as fast as i possibly could. I felt myself drift away from the mushy, gushy, sand.
"There you go your swimming now!" Katy declared.
"I guess I am!" I shouted so loudly as if it were to the world.
I never had trouble swimming after that. I didn't jump because seaweed touched my leg. I became more confident with myself and I was never afraid to go in the water ever again.

I love this piece because it describes me when I was just starting to learn how to swim, but with different circumstances.Please leve comments.