Now or Never | Teen Ink

Now or Never

By Stormythrone BRONZE, Anchorage, Alaska
Stormythrone BRONZE, Anchorage, Alaska

Nothing is good or bad. Its thinking that makes it so. -Benjamin Franklin

Past dreams taunt me, dancing outside of my reach. Each flailing about, twisting and heaving, dancing and grinning. They sing to me, chanting their horrid tune. Telling me a story that will never be true. Their whispers beccon me closer making my heavy legs move the distance. They lead me to a path with two direction. Now or Never.

Both paths stare at me, each having their own lure. "Now" was a path with a paved walkway, bright and inviting. "Never" was a dark unpredictable path with a dirt road. I wanted to be able to take both paths, but there was but one of me and two of them.

I stare at the unmoving signs, waiting for one to light up and tell me the answer to this unfortunate riddle. For days I wait, staring at those two signs, and just when I have had enough, one path dissappears, leaving no more options. The choice has been made for me.

Never.

I walk along the path's winding route, pushing past brantches and shrubbs, jumping over rocks and sink holes. Each step seemed heavy, each breath, strained. The air choked the life out of my lungs as I grew clumbsy and uncoordinated. But still, I pushed on. Minutes turn to hours, hours turn to days, days turn into months, and gradually, months into years.

Now I sit on the unending 'Never' path, my bones old and unmovable, thinking back to a day so long ago when I came across two pathways. I remember that day, and I remember my hesitation ro make the decision.

To this day, I still wish I would not have hesitated.

Sleep deprivation makes for the creation of interesting stories.

on Sep. 21 2010 at 7:58 pm
Stormythrone BRONZE, Anchorage, Alaska

Thanks. Spell check on my computer is broken right now, working on getting another program with it.

on Sep. 21 2010 at 7:06 pm
kao-chanu SILVER, Central, Utah
this is one of your best works. a story with a moral, and it tells just enough. it great. needs a spellcheck, but its great.

on Sep. 4 2010 at 3:52 am
i_am_nobody SILVER, Belgrade, Montana

"Be yourself, don't take anyone's sh*t, and never let them take you alive." -Gerard Way

i love and totally agree with the explaination.

great story

on Aug. 27 2010 at 9:18 pm
Just.A.Dream SILVER, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin

Part of the J7X team. :)

I like the meaning of this story! :) You have a few typos, but everyone makes mistakes, right? Keep up the good writing!

Amiee said...
on Aug. 27 2010 at 3:22 am
OMG that was GOOD that is now one of my favs!!! ><  it's soo well described and the "now or never" times

Thing1 said...
on Aug. 26 2010 at 7:35 pm
Thing1, Fayetteville, North Carolina

'If there is a book you really want to read that hasn't been written, then you must write it' ~ Toni Morrison
' Stupid is as stupid does' ~ Forrest Gump

Nop prob! U have tons have talent :) I totally now what u mean about missing out on a decision and regreting it your whole life. It looks like u put alot of effort into this peice.  I give it 5 stars!

on Aug. 26 2010 at 6:12 pm
Stormythrone BRONZE, Anchorage, Alaska

When I wrote this, I was thinking about how, if you wait too long to make a decision you will miss out on it and regret it for a long time. Im not too great at spelling it out or getting people to easily understand it. I have a tendancy to make them look in the text to find the meaning. Thanks for the comment!

Thing1 said...
on Aug. 26 2010 at 4:41 pm
Thing1, Fayetteville, North Carolina

Really good! :) The description is awesome! But, i dont quit understand it. Anyway, really good work! Keep writing :D