A Friend for a Lifetime | Teen Ink

A Friend for a Lifetime

By dani09 BRONZE, Winchester, Missouri
dani09 BRONZE, Winchester, Missouri

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words

Yesterday, Isabel was fine and smiling. Yesterday, we had gone to the mall and went shopping for shoes to wear to prom. Yesterday we sat by the fireplace and drank hot chocolate. But that was yesterday, not today.

At 11:00 at night, my house phone rang. I ignored it, and tried to go back to sleep, when I heard a knock on my door.

“Anna?” I heard my mom say. There was something in her voice that made me sit up right away. She sounded worried. “Anna, that was Isabel’s parents. Isabel was in a car accident.” It didn’t hit me at first, and I just stared at my mom.

“What?” I said asked eagerly.

“Isabel was in a car accident. She was coming home from work, when a truck driver ran a red light, and he ran right into Isabel’s car. Honey, I think you need to go, she might not make it.”

“No, no, no. How-“

“Let’s go, I’ll drive you.” I got dressed in a daze, grabbing some jeans and a t-shirt from my closet. I grabbed my jacket and ran out to the car. Moments later, we were on our way to the hospital.

“How is she?” I asked the doctor in fright.

“She doesn’t have much time,” he says quietly avoiding my eyes. “You can go see her now.” I run through the halls of Fernville Hospital where Isabel was admitted four hours ago. I stop at room 1307. I walk in slowly, and Isabel’s eyes meet mine.

“You’re still here?” she choked out.

“Why wouldn’t I be? ‘It’s you and me, forever.’ Remember?” I say as tears run down my cheeks.

“Yeah, forever,” she whispers. “Come here,” she motions. I walk over and sit in a chair right next to her hospital bed. “I’m guessing the doctor told you that I don’t have much time left?” she asks sadly. I nod making sure not to meet her eyes. She reaches over and grabs my hand. “Hey, cheer up. It’s going to be all right. I’ll be in a better place. You don’t have to worry.”

“Yes, I do. What am I going to do without you? You’re my best friend.”

“I know, but you’re fifteen, you have a whole life to live. You can’t just throw your whole life away just because of me,” she says as her eyes begin to fill up with tears. “You have to promise me that you will go on living, and that you will enjoy your life. Promise me.” I say nothing and she begs, “Please?”

“I promise,” I say quietly

“You are my best friend, and you always will be,” she whispers as a tear runs down her face. I watch as she closes her eyes, and her grip on my hand becomes loose.

“ISABEL! ISABEL! DON’T LEAVE!” I scream in terror. “I NEED A DOCTOR IN HERE! PLEASE, ISABEL!” I am screaming so loud that I faintly here the nurse ask me to leave, but I ignore her, and continue begging for Isabel to wake up. It takes four nurses to eventually get me out of Isabel’s room. A security guard escorts me to the waiting room, where I cry and cry for what seems like hours, and eventually fall asleep.

I stand at Isabel’s funeral with a rose in my hand, and remember that day so vividly, that it brings me to tears again. Isabel didn’t make it that day, but she will always remain my friend. I still remember that promise we made, and to this day I live my life to the fullest. I remember her everyday, and I will never forget her. She was and still is my friend for a lifetime.