Wake up call | Teen Ink

Wake up call

By Alicia-Turner BRONZE, Bradenton, Florida
Alicia-Turner BRONZE, Bradenton, Florida

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

The sun escaped thourgh my blinds, and made its way onto my pupils.I stumpled out of bed just like every other morrning.The sweet smell of maple syrup, rushed thourgh my nostrals and sent a message of delight to my brain.I arrived in my kitchen at 9:30 am.I sat down at the dark-wooden table, across from my mother.She had a horrified expession on her sun-kissed face."Mom, wha whats going on?" I already knew that hearing her answer would kill me.She unclenched the phone out of her tiny delicate hands,and carefully set it down on the table.It was clear she was in no hurry to give me the answer,that I was highly anticipateing."...There was an accident"she spoke so softly I couldent be sure if thats what she really said.

My teacher asked me to write a introduction for an essay, explaining an event that changed my life.