Birthday Detention | Teen Ink

Birthday Detention

December 19, 2023
By AlexBugh07 SILVER, Wentzville, Missouri
AlexBugh07 SILVER, Wentzville, Missouri
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Two things are infinite in this world; the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe"
-Albert Einstein


Lily threw her bag onto the floor of the detention room. “Ugh this is so stupid.” She complained. “I'm missing soccer practice for this, and I didnt even do anything, on my birthday to boot.” She continued with a huff as she slumped into the desk. The detention teacher, Mr. Mallony stood at the front of the class, and gave the rules. No electronics, no kissing, no talking, and no leaving, Basically no fun. Lily looked to her friend Holly, who was sitting right next to her, she quickly glanced around the room to make sure Mr. Mallony wasn't looking at them as Lily whispered to Holly, “What did you do to get sent here?”

“I didn't do anything at all!” Holly whisper-yelled back. “I was just sitting in the back of the class after a test when Ms. Ganson told me that I had a detention today… I was never told what for.”

“Same!” Lily agreed. I was finishing up an art project in Miss Porti’s class when she said that she was supposed to remind me that I had a detention today.”

“That's so weird.” Holly offered. Suddenly something even odder happened, there was a soft crackle then the PA system turned on.

“Can Holly Dayson and Lily Swartz please come down to the attendance offer please Holly and Lily to attendance.” and with a soft click it turned off. Holly and Lily looked around seeing Mr. Mallony writing them a pass. 

“You girls better come back here, Or you’ll be serving another longer detention tomorrow.” He warned handing them the passes to the attendance office. 

The girls nodded and headed on the way there. They passed by the soccer team who were running a lap through the school, and they all waved to Lily as she walked by. It was kind of odd that the soccer team was running inside. They usually only did that when it was cold or the field was being used, and as far as Lily remembered Fridays it was just soccer practice  and it didn't feel that cold outside. This doesn't concern her much though because she wasn't able to do any practicing today due to the detention. 

Once Lily and Holly arrived at the attendance office, they were greeted by the secretary Ms. Hemsworth. “Hello, girls.” She said politely, “ What brings you down here? Were you looking for your birthday pencil?” She said offering one to Lily. 

“Uh no..” Lily said, talking about the pencil.  “We were just called down here from detention with Mr. Mallony.” Ms. Hemsworth did some typing on her computer while Lily stood back softly tapping on the desk bored as she saw Holly on her phone texting again. 

After a short while Ms. Hemsworth declared, “You girls weren’t called down for anything furthermore, your detention is not scheduled. Today no kids have detention today.” She continued.

Lily started to smile, “Does that mean I get to go to soccer practice after all?” She says excitedly

“Wait up, Lil.” Holly said, placing a hand on her shoulder. “We should really go tell Mr. Mallony that this was all a misunderstanding, that way he doesnt get us into trouble tomorrow.”

“I guess.. “ Lily agrees. “But let's go quickly… I don't want to miss any more practice.” Lily respondes, as she pulls Holly towards the door. 

Soon the girls make their way back to the Mr. Mallony’s room only for Lily to arrive to see the light off and the room completely dark. “Hello… Mr. Mallony?” She asks softly, slowly stepping into the room. Suddenly the light flashes back on and all her friends on the soccer team jump out from all sides of the room, “Surprise!” They yell as Lily sees a delicious cake, and a “Happy Birthday Lily'' banner. 

“You all did this for me?” She says with a huge smile. “Thank you all!” She says, giving them each a hug. “This is an awesome surprise birthday.”  Aftering giving them all a hug they sing Lily ‘Happy Birthday’ and cheer as she blows out her candles. 


The author's comments:

I am a writer and student in the Creative Writing program at Holt High School. My goal for writing is to grow my abilities and take the next steps in the writing process . What I enjoy most about writing is the joy of being able to bring my thoughts to life, and create worlds for others to enjoy and read. My future plans for writing are most likely to continue to write in my freetime, however if I continue to do well, I have kept my path open to switch to writing more full time.