Beginning of Operation save Rhanda | Teen Ink

Beginning of Operation save Rhanda

May 8, 2009
By writer011 SILVER, B-more, Maryland
writer011 SILVER, B-more, Maryland
6 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Suppose you had a chance to save one person’s life. Who would you choose and why? Lets’ suppose you were in a third world country with kids dying all around you? Let’s suppose you chose to save yourself. Would you be able to forgive yourself? Let’s just suppose for a while.


Hi my name is Miranda. I’m 21 years old. And I’m from the organization Save Rwanda. And this is my story. My story began three years ago when I was 18. At 18 I left my small little towne in Michnagan and joined Save Rwanda. This organization is all about getting relief to the Genocide in Rwanda. Now at 21 years of age people call me a Murderer. No, I didn’t join any rebels, or kill any of the civilians. What I did was ten times worse.
I walked away!

It wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. And maybe that’s why it didn’t bother me, until now. I had the chance to save kids lives. And the truth is that I wanted to. And I’m not just saying that. It’s just that after being there for years it gets too you, all the proganda about the rebels being right and the children are wrong. When I joined the mission I didn’t know it would last so long. Nobody did. It was supposed to be a ten month tour and then leave. I was there for 24 months, 6 weeks, 5 hours and 34 minutes. It gets to you, the guns, the soldiers, the kids crying, and all the dead bodies. I knew if I didn’t get out of there I was going to die. “But the real problem lies within me” is what everyone says. “Your just weak, come on pick yourself up!”No No No they just don’t understand. I had two options stay and die or leave and let other people handle this! And yea maybe I shouldn’t have chosen the latter but I did. And I just wanted everyone to know why.

Dear mom and dad,
I’ve been in Rwanda for 4 hours. The flight was long and boring. But once I got here I was glad I got the rest. So far it’s kind of a still quiet. We all know that it won’t last, but at least for now it’s sort of stable you know. I might not be able to write much or say much, but I just wanted to let you know I love you both very much! And I wanted to thank you for letting me come here.
Love,
Miranda
See that was my first letter! It didn’t seem like it would take very long. I thought yes no major problems so maybe it won’t even take ten months! But no we were all wrong!

Dear Mom and dad,
It’s been a week since I’ve arrived! The day after I


The author's comments:
This is the beginning of a new small chapter book/short story. Please provide feedback