Not a Picnic | Teen Ink

Not a Picnic

By unspoken314 GOLD, Baltimore, Maryland
unspoken314 GOLD, Baltimore, Maryland

"Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game."

“No.”
“Why not? It’s just a couple girls. Me, Kari, Lisa, Jamie…”
“You’re not going.”
“C’mon, Ryan, it’s not a big deal. We’ll just go to the movies and--”
“I said you’re not going. End of discussion.”

--

“Hey Jocelyn! Wait up.” Kari called, closing her locker. She fell in step with her friend as she walked to her next class. “Are you coming to the movies with us this weekend?”
“Oh, I can’t. I’m sorry.” Jocelyn looked at Kari regretfully and waved goodbye as she stepped into her first period class.

--

“Hey Baby,” Ryan said as Jocelyn slid into a seat next to his. “You look lovely this morning. How are you?”
“I’m fine.” No need to say more. Saved by the bell.

--

“What are you doing?” Ryan asked casually, leaning on the door post of the news room.
“Just some emails.” Jocelyn replied. She hit send on the email she was writing and leaned back in her chair, hoping he wouldn’t approach her.
“Don’t you have work you should be doing?” Ryan walked over to the computer and looked at the screen. “Who is James?” His look turned stern as he gazed at her.
Jocelyn shrugged, trying not to make it a big deal. “James? Uh he’s just… my cousin. He lives in Ohio. I email him once a week.”
“Hmm.” He picked up a newspaper and glanced over it. “When is the next issue coming out?” He asked.
Jocelyn sighed internally, thankful for the change of subject. “Well, it’s a weekly newspaper so you tell me.” She said smiling, trying to thin the air a little.
“Hey, don’t get smart with me. I was just asking a simple question. Don’t be such a freak, Joss.” He cursed under his breath has he threw the newspaper back onto the desk and walked out of the room. Jocelyn turned on the radio to drown out the sound of her heart beating in her ears and resumed working on the next issue of The Sycamore.

--

“Let’s go out tonight. Just you and me.” He whispered over the phone the next night. “You pick the place. Tell me, where do you want to go?”
“You’re letting me pick? Wow, I don’t know.” Jocelyn smiled, melting like hot butter at his voice.
“Well, what are you in the mood for?”
“Candles.”
“Candles?”
“Ok we don’t need candles. Let’s have a picnic on the roof.” Jocelyn grinned and twirled the phone cord between her fingers. She ignored the edge in Ryan’s voice as he questioned her want for candles.
“Where are we going to find a flat roof?”
“We could sneak up to the roof of the Library. I saw a ladder leaning against the back wall when I was walking home from school today. Should we do it?”
“Sure.” He agreed. “I’ll get everything, don’t worry. Meet me at the Library in an hour. Look pretty.”

--

“Psst. Over here.” Jocelyn jumped, looking around to find the source of the voice.
“Geez, Ryan, you scared me.” She beckoned for him to come closer. “Hurry up. Ok now follow me.” He followed her up the ladder, having a little trouble trying not to drop the picnic basket he carried.
Once they made it to the roof Ryan took out a blanket, CD player, candles, and a plethora of food.
“You did bring candles!” Jocelyn exclaimed.
“Yeah, I knew you really wanted them.” He lit the candles and sighed. “There, now I can see you. And how lovely you look, too.”
Jocelyn blushed and sat down on the blanket. After they ate they sat looking out across the town. They were silent for a moment.
“So do you think I could go out with my friends this weekend? They really want me to go.” The romance drained from Ryan’s body as he turned to face Jocelyn.
A slap burned on Jocelyn’s cheek as he hit her hard.
“I told you never to ask again.”
“I-I’m sorry, Ryan.” She stuttered, tears welling up in her eyes.
“No, that was inacceptable.” Jocelyn stopped listening as she stood up. She turned away and ran to the edge of the roof. And then, she was gone.

on Jun. 3 2009 at 5:09 am
serendipity_reverie GOLD, San Marino, California

Laugh until we think we'll die, barefoot on a summer's night, nothin new is sweeter than with you.

Yeah. You wrote it exactly write, the abuser was very possesive of his girlfriend. Thats what they usually are like. VERY REALISTIC!

PippinP GOLD said...
on May. 22 2009 at 2:06 am
PippinP GOLD, Bolingbrook, Illinois

Faith is like learning to walk; you have to fall at first, but don't stay down. When in doubt, don't stop believing.

Wow. That's exactly what every girl should do in an abusive situation. Just walk away.