Fate in the Stars: A Holocaust Diary | Teen Ink

Fate in the Stars: A Holocaust Diary

By BuddingRose GOLD, Irwin, Pennsylvania
BuddingRose GOLD, Irwin, Pennsylvania

"A person's a person, no matter how small." -Dr.Suess

It has seemed like mother Nature herself has relflected life as it is for my people with the bleak, cold conditions. Rabi Gregory always told us that God will not give us more than we could handle, but I am not sure how God could let his people down like this. How could such a benevolent being appoint someone so curel to lead his people? These questions torment me with insommia for nights on end. However, when this heartless war is finished, if I live that long, I will tell the world of our mistreatment of a man appointed by his own people.

Our rations the government gave us are running low, as if they cannot see that we were starving from the start of this war. Isaac was striken with the Flu, so I had to take care of the hunting in our family. I never enjoyed killing off what God put on this earth, but when the government cares less about wheither you had a meal today at all, what is a sixteen-year old girl supposed to do to support herself and her familly?

While lurking in the woods not far from my aunt's house, I heard a branch snap. I was on high alert, because I thought the authorities had found me and was going to send me and my family to one of the god-forsaken camps. I was about to shoot, until the young man pointed to the star on his coat. I relaxed when I saw the wretched star we had to wear, knowing he would not report me. He told me his name was Richard and that he hid with a neighbor not far from us. When I told him what his name was, he told me that Sophia was a very elegant name and I told him the same about his name. We talked for a bit about our lives, and when he saw that I had little to no game hunted, Richard gave me some deer meat he had. I thanked him for this pity that he had shown to me, so I gave him some berries that I found. I asked when we could meet again, Richard told me that we should meet at the same spot in two days time. Could he love me the way any man should? I guess I'll know in two days.

Now I know why Richard picked this date for our meeting. It is Valentine's day, the most romantic day of the entire year. It was certainly romantic to both me and him. We sled down the largest hill we could find and he even shown me how to ice skate (which I was pretty clumsy at). When he suggested a snowball fight, he had seen my reaction and dismissed the idea, knowing the current situation. Later, he told me that if we both survive the war, we would meet again and be married. I hope this is true.

Richard and his family were arrested today by thier landlord. I couldn't believe it, the man I meet up with every day to hunt was gone, and the worst part was that we kissed a week earlier. He sealed our love for each other, and now he was gone. I am starting to lose hope that I will surivive the war.

Today, the authorities arrested my entire family and ordered them to be sent to a concentration camp. I couldn't believe that this happened to me. I am also striken with the Flu too. Richard, if you're stil alive and I am not by the time you find my diary, We will be reunited in heaven soon. I love you and goodbye.