No Bill of Rights | Teen Ink

No Bill of Rights

May 15, 2014
By ARoma BRONZE, Plymouth, Michigan
ARoma BRONZE, Plymouth, Michigan
4 articles 8 photos 2 comments

I live in a new time, even though my dad only ever wants to talk about the past. He talks about something called “freedom.” I don’t know what exactly that word means but all I know is he isn’t allowed to say it, really. He only talks about it when it’s just me and him, and sometimes my mom. The thing is we don’t really want to listen.

I’m perfectly content the way things are.

My dad sometimes talks about how a long time ago, every single person had their own opinions and talked about them with each other. Things about the president and other Leaders and stuff like that. Well I guess it wasn’t that long ago since he remembers it from his own lifetime. But I sure don’t remember any of it. In fact, no one really talks about it… he’s the only one.

I don’t really know what the deal is with my dad. “He’s going to get in trouble if he keeps talking like that,” and things along those lines is what the neighbors say, and I guess I have no one to believe but them. Even my mom asks him to stop, but it’s like he is in a world of his own. He won’t accept things the way they are now. I don’t know why.

Life is fine here. I mean, I don’t really have much to compare it with. But seriously, I’m very happy. Even when there’s chaos. There’s not too much of it though. But if there is, it’s all taken care of. Authorities come in and make everything better. So I don’t have to be worried or afraid. It’s kind of like having an older sibling who’s always watching over me and protecting me.

My dad makes me question that… and I don’t like it. He talks about “god,” a person… a being… something… that made all of us humans and watches over us. But I can’t see him. I can’t hear him and I can’t feel him. And no one else ever talks about “god.” One time when we were at our neighbors’ house for dinner, my dad mentioned it and it made them so upset they almost made us leave. I don’t know why my dad brings up this stuff. It only upsets everyone.

See, the leaders of our town have told us what to believe… and that’s what we all believe. My town believes in the strict following of the law, and that’s the way it should be. If we all follow the rules, no one will be upset and everyone can get along. My dad doesn’t like someone else telling him what to believe. He says we have no more “freedom” to think for ourselves. I like it this way, though. I can focus on more important things, like my schoolwork and my duties and chores, and not worry about my religion or my beliefs. The government decides for me.

Here’s the thing: I’m the only kid in my family, so I’m expected to do really well in school. I almost had a girl though, a sister. But the Authorities told my mom and dad there were too many girls in our town and that they weren’t allowed to have one. Dad was really angry, I don’t understand why. Anyway, I guess they decided to not have a girl after all. I didn’t know that decisions like that could be undone so easily, but the Leaders can make the problems disappear.

Anyway, at school, I learn about history. About how the world has always been this way, and anyone who fought this system was destroyed. My dad claims that they are “re-writing history.” Talking about this makes him really mad, so I don’t like to. He talks about “happier” and “freer” times… but I can’t comprehend anything different from the way it is now.

Now that I think about it, I actually did know someone like my dad a long time ago. See, he was so mad at the Authorities that he went crazy and threw a giant fit of protest against them, talking about “freedom” and “rights.” I didn’t really know what he was trying to say, exactly, but whatever it was, it was upsetting the townspeople. The Authorities came in and made it all better though. They took him in a van and drove him somewhere I don’t know, and then they came on the television screen that night to explain he was being helped and the Leaders were explaining why he was wrong and teaching him the right ways to think, and to be.

I don’t understand why anyone needs to fight with the Authorities. They’re just here to help us get along.