An Oratory in the Voice of Victoria Woodhull | Teen Ink

An Oratory in the Voice of Victoria Woodhull

By Zithia PLATINUM, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Zithia PLATINUM, Cambridge, Massachusetts

"It makes no difference who or what you are, old or young, black or white, pagan, Jew, or Christian, I want to love you all and be loved by you all, and I mean to have your love." -Victoria Woodhull

With such an immense nostalgia, I appear before you, for the first time in countless years, as a champion of a cause, which receives alike the jeers of the common multitude and the raillery of the select few. The terminology reposed on the page of the leaflet in question is an insincere defamation to those who I come to you proudly representing, and I. I have faith in you, and trust that you will find yourself conscious of the irrational conduct of this leaflet; you have to do no more than glance at it. Conversely, I believe that in spite of everything, I must yet pronounce the reality about the leaflet in question so there is not even a prospect that you will be confounded or swindled by it. A minority of you possibly will allege my grounds as ill advised. Those whose rejoinders are such, even if full of banter, it may be because you are moreover senseless, but it would most expectedly be because in this day and age for a woman to publicly ponder a political question is shuddered over as a profanity. I mean to amend this; I mean for you to stand by me in the act, and I mean for those of my sex to be heard; and it is because it is inevitably the necessary thing to do.

The raison d'être given for why the farmer ought to diverge his individual estimations on the matter of women’s suffrage is outlandish and ludicrous. I have a fanatical aspiration for you as my adherent supporter not to be misguided by this flyer with its askew conceptions and its prejudiced creator. I would love for you and me, collectively doing our best, to illustrate the sincere reality of the Woman’s Suffrage Movement to more of our fellow and equal inhabitants of our United States of America.

When I was an adolescent, a horrible man—a petty criminal who molested me and would capriciously become absent for days on end, leaving me and my juvenile siblings unaided—brought me up. The idea being my close relatives’, I was deprived of a proper education, thus I became my grandfather’s unpaid maid and not a notion more until I was fifteen and wedded. Throughout the course of every one of these endeavors I lived in a wooden, deep-rooted shack, a farm that was, notwithstanding its guise, nevertheless an arable farm in the countryside.

I do comprehend the adversity of farm life further than, in effect, every one of the individuals in this room listening in on me at this very instant. So I can be competent of enlightening you just as distinctly as whichever person you know with an upbringing in a similar scenery as mine; notwithstanding the verity that life as a farmer or farmers wife is an arduous way, I assert that breathing that atmosphere and keeping your sphere in the countryside does not devolve you into an organism wholly severed from all others and municipal life.

Given women were irrevocably permitted the righteousness they are merited as an individual of this sovereignty, and like all, deserved as a birthright, (the right of ballot vote,) a woman is undeniably as capable of departing out on the relentless traverse to the polling location as her husband, and she may, better yet, assume the vigorous trip with her spouse. The children can reside at the farm. I did that to an appalling extent when I was an adolescent, and offspring can be conscientious when given the chance to substantiate this.

During the course of my numerous years I, a free lover, have married four times to a total of three men. Commencing at the middle of my initial marriage, I have lived in numerous cities, so I deem that I can endow to you the perspective of the city man’s wife as suitably as the farmer’s wife. During my marriages, there has been a stage in all of them in which I diverged politically from my husband. Thus I can tell you rather frankly that not all women, notably not all metropolitan women, continuously agree alongside their husbands—stipulation agreeing that they even have a husband, for that matter. The leaflet reads, “…the husband and wife must vote, and both vote the same way…” If the author of this leaflet does not doubt that farm wives may, perhaps, decide to vote in a different way to their husbands why would that not be accurate of the urban wives furthermore? For these rationales, I deem that there is no accomplished fact in that segment of the leaflet in query.

I moreover judge that it is merely my obligation to prompt you that the uppermost aspiration of the Women’s Suffrage Movement, which I helped form when it was exceedingly undeveloped, is for women to obtain equality to their comrade men; predominantly the equality that would tolerate them to have a voice, and because of that, one that would pilot all to be equal overall.

The Women’s Suffrage Movement has always been about equality of all human beings, and it has always wanted to conclude in a success through the ballot and thus opening the option of the ballot to women. Therefore there would be no deliberation of the preference of women’s suffrage if the ambition of the faction in inquiry were equality. If a woman was fulfilled of her pristine right and wanted to implement it, there would be no good basis to vote identically as her husband. Thus, I suppose that for the above cause, the element of the leaflet in question that declares that it would be vital, is just pure imprudence.

I believe that there are many definitions that you could give of equality, equalities concerning numerous dissimilar entities. Nonetheless, today I am here to lecture on a lack of equality, a lack that is adulterating lives and hindering your fellow human beings from subsequence in the founding their own lives, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. If what was printed by the government in the Declaration of Independence is so effortlessly disregarded, who knows where the male government will stop. For all we may know, some day, on the basis of your sex—something that you are incapable of directing—you will be situated in jail at birth if the government is not stopped rapidly. I ask you, is it acceptable to permit a woman fewer rights than a man, and then revile her because she is a woman?

I believe that it makes no distinction who or what you are, male or female, old or young, black or white, pagan, Jew, or Christian, I want to love you all and be loved by you all, and I mean to have your love. With an honest zeal, I position myself before you, yearning for you to prevail with me as I strive to accompany all collectively into a harmony that is hence so equal that there are no blemishes, into a harmony that is significantly equal in that there is no blood drawn from citizens for incentives beyond there own supremacy, and finally, into a harmony where corruption or contamination to others is not even considerable.

An oratory that I wrote for my 7th/8th grade humanities class. It is as Victoria Woodhull in 1913, and is responding to a leaflet saying why farmers should vote "NO" on women's suffrage in the upcoming election.

There are three 1/2-1 sentace quotes directly from Victoria Woodhull within this oratory, but otherwise, it is all my own words.