In Love And Frost Bite | Teen Ink

In Love And Frost Bite

By Razzmatazz BRONZE, Findlay, Ohio
Razzmatazz BRONZE, Findlay, Ohio

Shock ran through my veins. I knew that there was no hope. How could I forgotten to shut the door behind me! Mother had insisted that I watch my brother while she milked the cows. The wind seemed to howl louder as I thought of the dangers. This has been a terrible winter and only two days into January this would surely be the worst yet.
I bolted towards the door and stepped in side. “Edward! Edward! Where are you?” I shouted. There was no answer nothing but the blizzard outside could be heard. How could I be so selfish? I just wanted to see if James Brown’s horse was going by. Who would be in this weather at a time like this anyways? Me apparently, for now I would have to find him. Mother would come in any time!
I took a deep breath as I stepped out into the thin air. I was almost blown off my feet which ment Edward surly had flown away. Then hope seemed to spark inside of me. Perhaps he went in the barn to find mother. I wasted no time, but I was stopped suddenly. If mother saw me and Edward wasn’t there I would surly be in trouble.
I moved slowly as the icy snow cut against my face. I looked into the window and saw my mother milking the last cow. My brother was no where in sight. I turned from the barn and began my quest. Father would never allow my courtship to begin if I was the cause of a family member’s death. At age seventeen you would expect more maturity. I shouted out my brother’s name and heard only the wind in return.
I could see nothing and soon could feel nothing. I became afraid for my own life. How long had I been traveling? I felt ice over my face. I knew that the frost bite had started to set in. I did not know where I was.
I began to panic and call for help, but what was the use in this weather. I tried to turn around and go back but I did not Know which way was which. I tried to beg for help one last time with all my strength I tried, but I could not move. I felt as though I was frozen solid.
At last I clasped I looked to the heavens and whispered “Lord, please spare my brother’s life and take mine.” I could not stand the cold any longer. I saw the world go black and felt my self fade away.

I awoke surprisingly to warmth and light. I did not wish to open my eyes. Then I heard words that I had longed to hear. “Wake up sissy!” I shot awake and saw the beautiful face of Edward. I did not know where I was nor did I care. We were alive and he was in perfect health. I on the other hand was still suffering from frost bite. I knew, however that I would live and all would be right.
As I lay there from the corner of my eye I saw a man. He was handsome, but that only added to my embarrassment.
“You are awake and well?” I heard him say. I could not answer I simply looked at my hands. It was James’s voice. Would he ever court me now? “You are remarkably brave and stupid for coming this way in a storm” I looked at him just long enough to catch his smile. At a least he could joke about it.
“I was in fact after my brother, who I believe you have kindly rescued.” I tried to sound noble, but my cheeks must have revealed all.
“I though he was after you. Apparently he went to see his mother in the barn. He came back to the house and you were missing. I stopped by to check on your family, since your pa was gone. I went out to look when I heard you were missing and I found you a half a mile down the road.” He explained.
“Is that so” I said holding back tears, utterly ashamed of myself. Why had I not seen him in the barn?
“Don’t be too hard on yourself. Next time I am sure you will look more carefully before assuming the worst, and perhaps you would consult your mother before such excursions. Do you need me to get you any thing?”
“no” was all I could say before, turning my head to cry. What must he think of my now? I closed my eyes and fell asleep.
I awoke later feeling better, however I felt terrible once again for right across the room stood James. He was watching me intently and I felt a shiver through my spine.
“Are you better?” he asked
“Much better.” I mumbled.
“Good. Your brother was worried when you started to cry. He loves you quite a bit.”
“Yes, I love him right back.” I said smiling
“I don’t doubt it or else you would not go out into the snow.”
“Well, I could have done it out of duty; you after all went out in the snow for me.” I said immediately regretting it.
“I had no duty to you. I ventured under the same motives as you.” He explained. Then he turned from the room.

I could not believe what I had just heard. Was it true? Did he really love me? I prayed with all my heart that it was so.

on Nov. 4 2010 at 11:16 pm
Hope_Allie SILVER, Las Cruces, New Mexico

Words. Solitary groups of letters, added together to express on page your emotion. Love in ink. Pain in pen.-Paul Putman

aw this is so sweet,i like it a ton!

on Jan. 28 2010 at 11:45 pm
Maranatha BRONZE, Tulsa, Oklahoma

"Life takes place behind the face." --Misty Edwards

You make me want to go write some sweet love story like this! Sure, there's always work to be done, but I really enjoyed this piece. Good job! (btw, I really like all your stuff. I love your heart for God. That's awesome!)

on Nov. 14 2009 at 9:07 pm
SerenityMine BRONZE, Not Saying, California
This was very good, but it could use a little bit of grammatical editing and such. But I still liked the story a lot! Good job, Razzmatazz.

on Nov. 14 2009 at 6:07 am
Mandiella DIAMOND, Plaistow, New Hampshire

Don't waste time. Start procrastinating now.

Wow, this is so good! I love this piece. You were very descriptive when you described the snowstorm. It was very exciting and I wondered what would happen next.