The Yellow Star | Teen Ink

The Yellow Star

August 15, 2009
By jOjOsfreakingCIRCUS GOLD, Brentwood, Tennessee
jOjOsfreakingCIRCUS GOLD, Brentwood, Tennessee
11 articles 4 photos 28 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I don't do fashion. I am fashion." -Coco Chanel


CRASH! Uh oh, I thought. Since I lived with an untamable five-year-old brother, this was not unusual. Reluctantly, I dragged my heavy feet over to the source of the ruckus. I was the fourteen year old, and that meant that I was responsible for all his messes. How unfair is that? Sighing, I hoped my brother hadn’t generously whipped up a tornado for me to clean up. As I stepped onto the carpet of the room, my eyes instantly widened and my lips shaped into an “o”. Before me, in my own living room, was a skinny girl with curled shadow-black hair, her arms hugging her knees, and her shiny eyes darting here and there, completely bewildered. She looked about my age. I blinked a few times, but for some reason, she didn’t disappear. Wait a second, I thought. Surely I know this girl from somewhere…Then it struck me. Of course! It had to be…
“A-Anne Frank?” I stammered uncertainly, still in shock. Her big eyes softened a bit, but remained frantic. Now, I at least knew who she was, but how on EARTH did she end up in 2007? In MY house? As gently as I could, I murmured, “Anne, do you know why you’re here? I mean, I know that you lived in the Annex hiding from the Nazis, and…” Her eyes instantly grew in fear. Great, I thought. Now I just scared her even more. “Okay, I don’t know how you came here, but I guess you could stay…” My voice trailed off and she looked straight at me. Instantly, I felt paralyzed, unable to move. The amount of pain and fear in her eyes was overwhelming, and I could tell she had been through more than I could ever imagine; and she was just fourteen! Then she spoke in a surprisingly strong, clear voice: “Yes, I am Anne Frank. And I need your help.”
Anne turned out to be quite a normal girl, but of course, she wasn’t. Seriously; how many people do you know just find Anne Frank sitting in their living room? Not many, I hope. After offering Anne a plate of steaming food, which she ate a bit too ravenously, I led her around my well designed, spacious home; it was rather depressing to see Anne’s eyes well up with envy. Finally, we reached my room. Anne sat as still as a statue on my bed, examining my room in amazement. Geez…and to think her whole family lived in a single, cramped room. Not too long ago, I was complaining that my bed was too small! I thought. Anne sighed. “I see Jews, children even, beaten on the streets for simply not wearing a fabric yellow star,” she said quietly. “When we do wear our stars, people hold their noses at us. I assure you, I bathe frequently enough!” Anne chuckled slightly, but her eyes were grieving. I took her hand. Wow…she never mentioned that in her diary. I thought. “Don’t worry. It’s not like that here.” I cleared my throat. “You said you needed my help. Your wish is my command,” I said brightly. Anne smiled, light sparkling into her eyes. “Okay,” she said cheerfully. “But first, we have to get you out of those clothes,” I declared, eyeing her noticeable yellow star and dirty garments.
“Anne? Exactly how did you end up here? In this year?” I inquired curiously. She glanced at me and burrowed her brow. “Well…I do remember that I was searching for something of mine, when I came across…across a strange door that I had never seen before. Yes, it was mysterious. I opened the door, and, well, here I am.” she paused, and turned to look at me. “D-do you think, that if I possibly went to th-the Annex again, and found the door…and well…” Like someone had lit a light bulb right above my head, I understood. “Of course! Wait…why would you want to go back? Life would be……” She looked away, sorrowful. “I know my fate wouldn’t turn out well, but my family needs me. I can’t leave them to live there alone!” she cried. Taking a deep breath, I knew what she said was true. “All right. But it’s not going to be easy.” I warned, but already I was pumped with a new kind of excitement.
“Okay, so here’s what we’re going to do.” I whispered to Anne. You see, the Anne Frank Center was right by my house, and the Annex was an “exhibit” in the Center. Just sneak her in through the door, right? Not so fast. The Annex was heavily guarded and watched 24/7. Not so easy after all. “Wow…I’d always wanted to be famous!” Anne said dreamily, looking at all the pictures of her in the museum. Urgently, I grabbed her arm and led her upstairs to the Annex. Right as we were about to enter into her secret home, an elephant-sized guard stepped in front of us. “Entering is not permitted,” he growled. I glanced at Anne, my brow creased with worry. Acting before thinking, I pushed all my weight on the guard and gasped “Oh! I feel very sick…” Pretending to faint, I heavily landed on the ground. THUD. Anne stared with wide eyes, bewildered. To Anne, I urgently hissed through closed teeth. “Run. Run NOW, Anne.” With fear in her eyes, she suddenly dashed to the narrow door, tears pouring down her face. “Stop! STOP HER!” guards thundered. Then I remembered something. “Anne! I forgot to tell you! Your diary got published and changed the world. You showed them true evil that they will never forget…and never use again. You did all that, Anne! Remember that!” I cried after her. Anne looked back once, with tears in her eyes, and smiled. And then she opened the door…and was gone.
Sometimes I can hardly believe this happened. Me meet Anne Frank? Unbelievable. Either way, her existence will never be forgotten, and anything can happen to you.