Watergate | Teen Ink

Watergate

Mom told me that she read about Nixon in the papers and the whole Watergate Scandal. But pops and I have been working hard at the jobsite to even know or care. See i’m not a typical 17 year old kid i’ve been working hard my whole life. I’ve been having some back problems since I was young. Mom said it ran in the family. We were a big family and I mean a big family. But them burgers from Wendy’s surely are delicious. Momma is always trying to be hip by buying the new Adidas clothes but I keep getting picked on for my weight at school. I’m the quiet but funny kid at my school. I keep telling her to stop buying it, we’re almost broke.

While walking to the store my friend Jim narrowly got hit by a vehicle. And let me tell you it gets hot in the summer down south. I yelled at the car but they continued to laugh. We was gonna go to the mall but decided not to as we were all broke. However the next day in the papers momma told me that President Nixon was soon to be on trial. For his involvement in something called the Watergate Scandal. I don’t know much since i’m only a kid.

“What did Nixon do?” I asked

“Well according to the papers he broke into the Democratic building and recorded conversations,” Said momma.

“Well ain’t that something?”  I said

“It sure is, and hey Gary was talking about how Jim almost got hit?” Replied momma

I looked at her puzzled and said, “i’m not sure what you’re talking about.”

Jim, Gary and I were an inseparable friend group and we never left each others side even for chicks. Even though I never had any. But that’s besides the point. The heat got to us today, pops and I had to take care of the lawn but he passed out from the heat. Momma told me to leave him there and go out to the mall with my friends he’d wake up soon. And so that is what I did my friends and I went to the mall. While at the mall we ran into some agents looking for someone. Mr. Critch asked me “Where is your papa at young man?” It was like he was looking for me.

I replied, “he’s at home asleep, the sun knocked him over.”

Mr. Critch said on his walkie, “He’s at home don’t let him leave.”

I was left stunned, speechless, my mouth felt like it was glued shut. But I had control of the rest of my body. I bolted at Mr. Critch who was too busy in his walkie talkie that in one sleek punch I knocked him out cold. Gary had just returned from the bathroom completely unaware of what had just happened. 

I quickly said, “don’t worry i’ll tell you later, follow me.” I didn’t run a lot but when I did I looked like a gazelle. Gary needed a moment to take in what I had said but when he realized it he bolted. Now I should’ve been an Olympic runner cause I got home in what felt like 5 minutes. Once I reached home, my mom was yelling at me. Saying something about how I could’ve gotten injured or even died. Now I know mom’s can make some unproportianate sayings but this was far out there. I didn’t tell her that I knocked this man out cold out of anger.

I asked papa if he knew who Mr. Critch was, he only responded with “no I don’t know who that man is.” I had my doubts but I couldn’t prove anything. The following day after school a sleek, nice looking young man with a briefcase was walking to the house. I wanted to ask him his name but he was walking with a good and fast pace. He gave a nice short little knock on the door and asked to come in. My father begrudgingly let him in. Only because of his attire and business card that I saw him take out of his pocket. But right at that moment I sense danger, felt that something bad was about to happen. However I didn’t say anything our even make a noise, not unless I was asked to by this young man. Who carried himself without a care in the world. He set the briefcase down onto the table and opened it up slowly. I was the first one to catch a glimpse of it, it was money, not just any money but wads of hundred dollar bills. The man asked me if I wanted it for a small price. He said, “you have to assasinate President Nixon for his crimes.”

I was left speechless and in awe over the amounts of cash. My father urged me to say yes as we needed the money. But the businessman gave me one last proposal he said, “If I say no we will be playing a game of hide and seek for the rest of our lives.” I asked the man, “why me, out of all the kids why was I chosen?” He gave me a quick glance and replied, “I cannot say that right now sir.” And shot back his eyes at my pops. By then I had said yes and got into the mans SUV and we had drove away.

My name is Jake I am from Missouri, USA. I am a senior in highschool. I only have a small amount of prior writing experience.