Final Address | Teen Ink

Final Address

By LiamWM BRONZE, Pasadena, Texas
LiamWM BRONZE, Pasadena, Texas

Mcmills stared at the guard blank-faced. Mcmills knew the guard had to have heard about japan’s threats of nuclear warfare, but still, he wouldn’t budge. His mind was racing as the most important document ever conceived was a mere meters away from the president. The peace agreement was written by Kira Ukanoi, the general of the Japanese army to end the war peacefully. 

The capricious nature of the war had sent Mcmills all over the globe, but he never thought he’d see the white house. He knew the austere guard wasn’t gonna budge. Mcmills sat on the sidewalk in defeat not knowing what to do next. He pondered about his hometown, home-cooked meals, his mom and two brothers, and most importantly his best friend Trev. Mcmills had been in the military for 2 years and his Bestfriend Trev had been sent somewhere he couldn’t quite remember where. 

He scanned the area for any last hope that might be able to convince the guard to let him in. The sewer drain he thought for a moment it stood out to him for some reason such a banal object stood out like a sore thumb to him at this moment. It clicked he could use it to get into the white house he thought about it for a second. He sighed and decided to go for it. He struggled for a minute but finally got the lid to budge, so he hopped down cautiously. He was instantly stripped of his vision he couldn’t see a thing except for the illuminating light from the sewer lid. He pulled out his military lighter all he heard was the click, but no sparks. He cursed before trying again finally a flame emerged from the metal flame. He saw the newly built robust sewer system as he walked towards the light. He heard faint voices above as he walked through the murky water he was staring at himself in the reflection. The smell of sewage seemed to fade or he had gotten used to it. A drop of water fell on his hair and he knew he had made it into the exit at the boiler room. He knew he had to stay focused and not dawdle.

He pushed on the vent cover but it wouldn’t open. He tried again but it wouldn’t budge it took him a second but he finally got an idea. He took a few steps back took a breath and charged. The vent busted open, and mcmills with a loud thud fell onto the hardwood floor below. He heard footsteps coming towards him so he took off towards the stairs. He panicked for a split second as he thought there was no way this door could be unlocked. The biggest stroke of luck at this moment the door was unlocked, so he made his way into the building.

The esoteric architecture and furniture only seen by the president and his limited staff seemed so alien to the Texas-raised soldier. He stood gazing for a moment, then he remembered what he was there for. He searched around clueless; the sound of rushing boots started to get louder and louder. He didn’t hear or didn’t notice when the doorknob jerked. Two White House guards came in suddenly. Within a blink of an eye, Mcmills was on the floor being taken by the guards.

Even while being dragged around the white house all Mcmills could think of was how the building looked. He had never seen anything this nice before he was in awe at the furniture and paintings. The guards were just emotionless blocks of metal it seemed cold, and not a thought seemed to be going on in their heads. He saw the big iron door and knew something was different. He snapped back into reality once the key clicked and the iron door creaked open.

There stood a single table and two chairs, confused no cuffs on the table. He thought for sure he was going to be cuffed in the room never to see the president, or even his home again. He sat there trying to figure out what, or where he was in, but nothing came into his mind just a steel box with nothing else in it. Just then a man in a black suit walked in he had a briefcase and a door key in his hand. Mcmills didn’t even look the man in the face his gaze was stuck on the key. The only thing to cross his mind was to escape his way out to save the people he loved and anyone else, 

The man's voice was just white noise Mcmills was plotting his escape. He sprung into action he practically flew out of his seat grabbed the key, and rushed for the door. He doesn’t know how he did it, but he turned the doorknob while ramming into the giant metal door it flew open without struggle. He stumbled to his feet and ran to the door turned the key and the click that had brought him back to his senses earlier had saved him. 

He made his way into the oval office and he opened the door softly. He just walked in like it was his own room. He was instantly met with a million eyes, but the only ones that mattered to him were the presidents. He walked over flooded by the gazes of the most important people in the world. He handed the letter off with a smile he seemed to have completed the most important task he had ever been given.

Shock waved over Mcmills body by the president’s reaction; it was so unexpected the room was filled with silence. FDR uttered the words that would haunt Mcmills for the rest of his life. “It’s too late,” he muttered with his jaw on the floor. The ring of the phone was deafening it was Ukanoi with his voice cracking throughout the conversation “I didn’t know the letter wouldn’t reach you on time I am grieved we must do this but I must retaliate with the launch of my nuclear weapons”. The phone went dead after the call ended not a single person spoke another word. 

All gazes darted to the windows as what seemed like stars began to appear falling out of the sky.