Preparations. | Teen Ink

Preparations.

By JenDovehaven PLATINUM, Pohang Kyeungbuk Heunghae-ub Namsongri 3, Other
JenDovehaven PLATINUM, Pohang Kyeungbuk Heunghae-ub Namsongri 3, Other

After reading the letter from Mr. Metos, the air seemed so heavy that it threatened to smother her. Murmuring something about finding supplies for their journey, Charlotte pulled her empty backpack from the shelf where it resided, and dashed into the hallway to search. She crept into the kitchen pausing only to listen to the soothing sounds of a whispered conversation emanating from an old parlor. There her parents sat on the old garish green and purple couch, drinking creamy coffee and discussing the events of the day. Charlotte leaned against the wall and allowed all the comforting memories of home to wash over her. She considered running in and telling her parents are her troubles. But what would she tell them? The Greek myths are all true, and a creepy mud spa worker from the underworld had made men from clay who were stealing her friends’ shadows, and if she didn’t stop him all would die? They would think she was deranged, and maybe even send her to a doctor as Zee’s parents had done. Charlotte shuddered and turned away from the warm light which streamed from the parlor doorway. Resolving neither to look at the comforting light nor to think about the possibility of telling her parents everything, Charlotte slipped down the hallway to the kitchen. Charlotte had never liked the kitchen at night. It was the only room in the house her parents had not made-over when they moved because they believed that it made the house look more homey. Despite the respectable history of the house, she was never able to keep her mind from imagining all the horrid stories which the scratches in the linoleum could tell. Futilely forcing her mind to stay still, she opened the closet and pulled out a package of chocolate energy bars, five pieces of fruit leather, a bag of dried and salted pea snacks, three plastic cups, and two half gallon water bottles. She was not sure how long she would be gone and so resolved to prepare for everything. Once the food was safely tucked into her backpack, she opened a small iron door behind the refrigerator and scuttled down the steep steps into the basement. After locating the light switch, she pulled two blankets out from behind a shelf loaded with an odd mixture of preserves, camping supplies, and old magazines. She pulled a loop of rope, a pocket knife, a flashlight, along with an extra pack of batteries from the wall, and dashed upstairs. When she arrived in the guest room, she saw that Zee had also prepared for the trip by putting her book of Greek myths, their allowances, and both of their winter jackets in his back pack. Charlotte sighed as she sank down beside the desk to write a letter explaining where they were going and why. After nearly an hour of toil, Charlotte sighed once again and PUT down the now crumpled sheet of paper. When her parents found it, this is what they read. Despite Charlotte’s best efforts, they felt an increasing sense of horror.
1:30 P.M. Saturday
Dear Mom and Dad,
Zee and I have learned the cause of everyone’s suffering. There is a man who is causing the Pied Piper Flu which is hurting all my friends. We have resolved to find and stop him. Please do not worry or try to come after us. We have acquired a trustworthy guide from our English teacher, and the trip will be short and safe. We will be back soon to restore our friends to health.
Yours,
Charlotte and Zee.
PS: Stay in the house! We have reason to think that the disease is airborne.